Right Hand (clutch) cover stuck! Help Please.

Yes, get a Vessel 2500, they are the Cadillacs of hand impacts, in fact I think they invented them. While looking through the eBay listings, you may come across some brand new ones. Yes, Vessel still makes this same old 2500 but it costs near $80 now, lol. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a nice used one. These things are tanks. In fact, I'm still using the one I bought at the local hardware store back in the early '70s, paid something like $8 for it I think.

I acquired a sykes pickavant hand impact. Given to me from a friend who since passed on. Great tool to have. Didn't really know how to work it at first cause it was seized up.
put some penetrating fluid to it and it works like a charm.
These are tanks, heavy and have a real beefy spring in them.

okay so I put the bike back together and tried the electric starter....no go. Sounds like it engages alot more but dies out. Then my neutral light goes super dim. I think my battery may be toast.

So I tried to kick it over next, thats where my new issues starts. So i was able to kick it started and everything ran fine, but my kickstarter never returned, it just stayed down at the bottom of the kick..WTF. I can by hand bring it back up. Obvisouly I knocked something with the return spring out when eithier taking the case off or putting it on.

I just got everyting button down, torqued everything to spec...pretty pissed that I have to take the cover off again...ahhhhh

So what part should I be looking at in the kickstarter, has anybody seen this before? I may start a new thread just for the kickstarter.

doesnt return back up

Attachments

• 20141102_212153.jpg
    20141102_212153.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 20141102_212929.jpg
    20141102_212929.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 20141102_212936.jpg
    20141102_212936.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 104
sounds like something is too tight . Maybe the shim washer you have on the kickshaft is too thick ? Try refitting the cover with no shim and test how much axial movement (in-out )you have on the kickstart shaft.
Make quite sure that the raised part at the back of the kickstart assembly has not twisted round when you fitted the cover althoough if it had I doubt you would have been able to close the cover.

If you watch the vid you'll see that I test my kickstart assembly is working correctly, (using gland pliers on the spline, )before refitting the cover.

Hi there,

left right play (if looking at the bike from head on) of the kickstarter was minimal but there was play. I noticed I had an "extra" washer as shown in my pic in post 38 of this thread, but 5T seemed to think that was to take out too much play that would make it sloppy. THe kickstarter before taking the case off worked just fine so im guessing thats not the culprit.

I just read through this thread and I suspect that the "nub" on the back of the shaft is not in the cutout in the back of the case as indicated in the the pic on post #8 in the thread below.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25602 pic in post #8

When I take it back apart Ill take a new pic.

If when you put the cover back you let the kickstart pull out just a bit it will disenguage it self then you have to pull the cover and reinstall it. I've had to pull the cover just for that reason a couple times I go out of my way to hold that damn thing in while putting on that cover, test it next time before tighting the bolts
Also test it before you put the cover back on.

If when you put the cover back you let the kickstart pull out just a bit it will disenguage it self then you have to pull the cover and reinstall it. I've had to pull the cover just for that reason a couple times I go out of my way to hold that damn thing in while putting on that cover, test it next time before tighting the bolts
Also test it before you put the cover back on.

Hey I am Carbon

I thinks you are on to something here. When I was putting the cover back on everything felt snug, but I really had to work to get my cover to align with the front spacer, at that point i think i knocked the kickstarter assembly and it just seemed looser (wasnt really sure what to look for) so I checked that the spring was still hooked on that post and the wishbone clip was in its spot but did not look at the "tang/nub" in the cutout.

So are you saying that that nub probably come away from the cutout area? Wonder how I was able to get the case back on.

Thanks all.

Hey I am Carbon

I thinks you are on to something here. When I was putting the cover back on everything felt snug, but I really had to work to get my cover to align with the front spacer, at that point i think i knocked the kickstarter assembly and it just seemed looser (wasnt really sure what to look for) so I checked that the spring was still hooked on that post and the wishbone clip was in its spot but did not look at the "tang/nub" in the cutout.

So are you saying that that nub probably come away from the cutout area? Wonder how I was able to get the case back on.

Thanks all.

did you watch the video I posted ??????:shrug::shrug:

It covers all of these issues clearly
.Correct Installation , holding the assembly in place , testing the operation prior to refitting cover .....common errors etc etc :shrug:

"So are you saying that that nub probably come away from the cutout area? Wonder how I was able to get the case back on".
and yes it happens just like that
oh it will go back on.
I watched peanuts video a few time before I screwed with mine. good stuff.
Hey peanut did you catch my newest video
I'm going to shoot You one better when You get snowed in

Hi Peanut,

Yes I did and I understand for the most part where they go, but I did not watch it prior to getting my case on. Just trying to figure out what is out of place that would allowe me to actually kick the bike "on" but not have it return. My best guess is that the nub got pulled away on install and never hits the stopper in the case.

We shall see tonight.

Concerning the electric starter, how much does it draw from the battery? I really dont want to pull my clutch again to re-tension the spring. Fingers crossed that is just my battery.

"So are you saying that that nub probably come away from the cutout area? Wonder how I was able to get the case back on".
and yes it happens just like that
oh it will go back on.
I watched peanuts video a few time before I screwed with mine. good stuff.
Hey peanut did you catch my newest video
I'm going to shoot You one better when You get snowed in

wow !... the attention to detail and level of finish is gorgeous.:thumbsup: Everything has been carefully selected . Love the switches and the subtle flashes of colour.

Was that one of your neighbours trying to beg a ride ??:laugh:

The engine sounds really dialled in. Quick warm up great idle and pulls away with no hesitation coughs or splutters .. I love the throaty sound of the exhaust . I bet it sounds even better to bystanders.
Has a lovely over-run sound ...purrs like a kitten and roars like a Tiger

I'm sorry to confess that I have not touched my Xs650 since I finished it last October. It just needs the pilot jets and carb settings sorting out and a MOT test and I could ride it.
To be honest its so heavy to push and pull around that it gives me a strained back every time I have to wheel it in and out of the garage. I expect its because of flat tyres. I don't know how small lightweigh owners manage to be honest.:(
I might be forced to sell it before I get to ride it unless I get my finger out and sort it out and go for a ride.

Thanks for the linky Carbon :thumbsup: you must be so pleased with it

Back