rod wear

kbtoy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The top end of my rods a worn out. MY piston pins are loose in the the rods. The copper is gone, and laying in the bottom of my cases. Reason no oil? thanks

The top end of my rods a worn out. MY piston pins are loose in the the rods. The copper is gone, and laying in the bottom of my cases. Reason no oil? thanks

How many miles are on the engine? Everything wears out eventually.

Of course if the oil level in the sump was allowed to go low, or if the oil passage ways/filters etc were allowed to be blocked, then all bets are off. Even a brand new engine will fail under those conditions.

Sounds like you need new rods. I doubt the copper you found in the cases comes from the rod ends. They don't have that much copper in them. When the sump filter tears and chunks of the brass screen go through the oil pump it gets groung pretty fine. I think this is where the copper looking sludge you find in the cases comes from.
The upper rod end/piston pin get fed oil, some from oil splash from the crank running in oil, some from the excess oil scraped off the cylinder walls by the oil ring.
So the main reason for excess wear of the piston pin /upper rod end are low oil, or not changing it enough.
As the oil builds up contaminants, some of these contaminants form acids. These acids can only be gotten out with oil changes.
Leo

Back