Rotor Removal?

ArcherSix

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK guys. Stupid question time.....I'm in the process of installing one of Hugh's PMA kits. Got the stator off and now I'm trying to remove the rotor. How can I turn the nut and keep the rotor/nut assy from turning?

Hold the part of the puller that screws onto the rotor w a crescent wrench while turning in the bolt of the puller

Ah I c..lol. I put big cresent on large nut on sprocket, put in gear and turned motor until cresent wedged against part of block. Should be able to break free then

Archer if you want to keep your threads in good condition do not use the puller to fully remove the rotor. Snug the rotor puller by hand and smack it with a hammer. This usually jars the rotor off its taper. If it does'nt repeat until it does.

Archer if you want to keep your threads in good condition do not use the puller to fully remove the rotor. Snug the rotor puller by hand and smack it with a hammer. This usually jars the rotor off its taper. If it does'nt repeat until it does.

Tony,

I didn't see your note until I got the rotor off. However, the threads look fine. we'll see once I get the new stuff on.

If you just hold the outside of the puller and turn the bolt to remove the rotor the pressure on the threaded part of the crank shaft can swell out enough so putting the nut back on can be tough.
Just snug the bolt up good buy hand and a sharp whack on the bolt pops the rotor right off with out hurting the threaded part. Might take a bit more snugging up and another whack to get it but it pops right off.
Leo

Is the puller available from a local motorcycle/auto shop? Anyone know what size to ask for? I know it is available from mikesxs but need it sooner than that.

Thanks

You might find one at a Yamaha dealer, maybe at an indepent shop. They might loan you the puller. Or bring the bike to them and they might pull it for you.
Mike's is about the least expensive puller out there.
I doubt you will find one at a parts or hardware store. it's a very specific tool for a very specific application.
Leo

Back