Rubber Tachometer Bulb Holder

freddy3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a source of a replacement for the little, black rubber cover that fits over the light bulb holder in the bottom of the tachometer? This is the small bulb that illuminates the tach dial at night (when the headlight is on).

Recently, the rubber dried-out and is disintegrating, which allows the light bulb to fall out of the hole on the bottom of the tach and then short-out.

If the rubber cover's no longer available, has anyone come up with a suitable way to keep the light bulb in place without falling out?

Another thing that you can find there.
http://216.168.60.165/speedandsportinc/index.tpl
Look under "speedo_tach" on the left side and you will find what you need. It's a little bit expensive but I don't know another place to find them. You can try to find it on eBay too.

Great link. It looks like they have the part, but I'm not sure from the diagram whether it includes that rubber cover or boot that fits over the bulb holder and plugs into the bottom of the tach. I'll have to snap a photo of the parts and contact them.
Thank you.

Is this what you need?

Attachments

• DSC00903.jpg
    DSC00903.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 260
Is this what you need?
I thought there was just one light bulb (I'll have to check the bike tomorrow), but, otherwise, that looks like it.

HA beat me to it
They are nice and rubbery btw they are all your's if you need em just pm me your address
PM sent.
As I said, I don't remember there being 2 bulbs, but I sent you my address and you can either ship them off or wait 'til I can check the bike tomorrow to be sure that's the right part.

72XS2: I think your part may be for a different model year. I checked with a friend who has the same bike I have and there're 3 bulbs going into the tach (dial illumination, neutral and turn signal).
Thank you anyway!

72XS2: I think your part may be for a different model year. I checked with a friend who has the same bike I have and there're 3 bulbs going into the tach (dial illumination, neutral and turn signal).
Thank you anyway!

Sorry, you're right. I count the neutral and turn signal bulb but I forgot the light bulb...

Another thing that you can find there.
http://216.168.60.165/speedandsportinc/index.tpl
Look under "speedo_tach" on the left side and you will find what you need. It's a little bit expensive but I don't know another place to find them. You can try to find it on eBay too.

After receiving an incorrect part from another source, I'm trying one from your link. Hopefully, this time I'll receive the correct part.

I just received the Chinese-made automotive DMM (includes a 2-cyl dwell option) and it looks good. The unit powers on and it tested a couple of AA batteries correctly, so that's encouraging.
However, the bike's running perfectly, so I'm unlikely to be changing anything based on the new meter's readings. But I'll try to get a reading this weekend to see how the meter quantifies my current timing settings (done, statically, by the book).

Oh, I almost forgot the most important news: I also received the NOS wiring harness for the tach lights from Speed and Sport!
harness.jpg

I WILL be installing that today. So thank you for the link, 72XS2.

Last edited:
I've discovered the same issue with my meter bulb holders as freddy3 - namely the rubber boots or holders for tachometer/speedometer and turn signal indicator bulb sockets.

Does anyone have any spare meter wiring harnesses (or junk harnesses) that still have rubber boots in good (or better) condition? I know that I'll have to disassemble the harness in order to slide a new rubber boot on....

I have sent an email to Speed and Sport Inc...

To find the entire Turn Signal Light Bulb wiring assembly (for a 1976) in new or very good condition would be nice.

584-83572-00-00.

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Those sockets would be even better if you could get them that take the plug in base bulbs.
The round two pin bulbs are not easy to find.
I like to get small stuff like bulbs locally.
Leo

Those sockets would be even better if you could get them that take the plug in base bulbs.
The round two pin bulbs are not easy to find.
I like to get small stuff like bulbs locally.
Leo

I bought a 10 count box of these bulbs (12V-3.4W) from my local Yamaha dealer. They are CandlePower Brand and are called Original Equipment Replacement Product. Made in China. I talked them out of charging me MSRP of $2.95 each so I paid boats.net price of $1.88 each.

If you google CandlePower 53's (#53 bulb, I guess), you get a lot of hits like walmart (online), amazon, grainger, etc. As you indicated, these have the bayonet base with the pins on opposing sides.

Attachments

• 41eKlXqbDOL__SX385_.jpg
    41eKlXqbDOL__SX385_.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 249
  • Candle_Power_1.jpg
    Candle_Power_1.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 272
  • Candle_Power_2.jpg
    Candle_Power_2.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 270
  • Candle_Power_3.jpg
    Candle_Power_3.jpg