Seal replacement question

cwmoss

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Can the seal behind the Pamco ignition (left side) be replaced without having to reset the timing? I have an oil leak coming from behind it. This is the first 650 I have had that came with a Pamco ignition, all of my previous xs's have been 72 and 73 models, this is a 77. I have never had to do anything to my previous bikes except change the points.

No, the Pamco base plate will have to be removed so the points/Pamco housing can be removed. Then you can change the seal in the housing. But if you draw or scribe (scratch) a line or "match mark" between the Pamco plate and the housing, you can put it back in pretty close to where it's set now. Still, since the bike is new to you, it's not a bad idea to check the Pamco timing setting. It is adjustable after all and may not be exactly right or at the best setting.

Thank you for the reply. The reason I didn't want to mess with the timing is it runs sooo good right now. I am not afraid to tear into things, just would rather to not have to.

I had nothing but bad luck with that seal until I found 5T's suggestion to buff the shaft with Scotch Brite. Now I do that with all seals and never have a problem. Use the leftovers to shine your case covers.
8c-279800056e8e_1.7e67b311a5f6763b8bbaec36780353a7.jpg

Yes, that's an old mechanic's tip I learned of years ago. Since implementing it, I have a near 100% success rate replacing seals. It really helps.

Back