Shell V-Power Nitro Plus

Uhlaf

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well, Shell just dropped a new premium gasoline. I've read through some literature but there's not a whole lot of specifics about the gas other than it's wrapped in a Ferrari flag and it still contains to ethanol. What does that mean for gentlemen like myself that exclusively fill with Shell's old premium, does anyone know a little more about this?

Or maybe even...where one could obtain some 97 leaded?

Shell's FAQ's say that this new premium still has no ethanol in it which makes it my go to gas for the VStrom and the garage gas can for the lawn mower and snow blower.
I do not remember ever seeing car washes attached to their stations.

My XS650 runs just fine on regular grade gasoline. 55.8 mpg (USA) or 23.76 km/litre.

All of the large refining companies use marketing gimmicks, in order to extract more money from your pocket. Unless your engine has 10:1 compression ratio or higher, why would you pay extra money for premium grade gas?

I've heard all the marketing BS over the years..............."cleans your engine while you drive".............."no gunk or deposits left in the engine"..............."increases power", etc. ,etc, etc.

Leaded gas:yikes:...............that stuff is gone and for good reason, its extremely unhealthy for humans.

Nitro-Plus? Maybe it contains nitromethane? :)

I think 'Nitro' is Shell marketing speak for the detergent additives package. Important in modern FI cars running super lean mixtures.

My mostly stock 77 will ping on 87 octane below 3000 rpm. It may ping at higher rpm but there is too much noise to hear. I just use premium in everything old.

Tom

Posted via Mobile

My XS650 runs just fine on regular grade gasoline. - - - I've heard all the marketing BS over the years..............."cleans your engine while you drive".............."no gunk or deposits left in the engine"..............."increases power", etc. ,etc, etc. - - -

Hi Gent,
mine too. Do you remember "Put a Tiger in your tank?"

Nitro refers to nitrogenation of the fuel. Nitrogen is infused into the fuel, much like carbon dioxide into a carbonated beverage. The nitrogen aids in cleaning the intake valve. Nothing more.

snake oil.
That said, I will refuse to put am/pm in anything.
Only in a emergency will I put low grade gas in even a lawn mower, but I don't go premium on anything either.
Regular unleaded has more energy that premium, that's why it pings.
Just use mid grade gas from a reputable supplier, like shell, or chevron.
No need to go overbore using high test on anything under 9:1
Keep your pennies in your pocket, or give it to the guy on the corner. My .02

What is snake oil? Higher octane pump gas has higher octane. For our purpose it has the same energy as 87. Toluene and xylene are aromatic hydrocarbons with octanes far over 100. I think both have higher energy than plain gasoline.

You never need octane, until you need it.

Tom

Posted via Mobile

Back