Should I remove the bottom end to finish weld my frame

joshxs650 bobber

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I squared up my tc bros hard tail and tacked it in place with the bottom end bolted up. I was wondering if I could remove the bottom end now so I could weld it easier.

i would take it out. at first thought, i figured it would be a good way to brace the frame while you welded it, then I remebered the electricity going thru the steel parts of the motor cpould be damaged on bearing sufaces.
And if your mig it, could get sparks and sht it there.

I would leave the case in the frame. The flow of electricity while welding shouldn't be through the case. Unless you put the ground clamp on the case. But who would do that?
To keep welding debris out of the case, wrap it up with some thing fire resistant to keep it clean.
Leaving the case in will prevent the frame from shifting, It may stay put if you remove the case, but what if it didn't?
Leo

even if you leave the casing in you won't know how much pull has been created until after you remove the engine and try to reinstall. bracing the frame before welding is only half of the job. It is important to weld without concentrating all the heat into one spot.

welding around the clock drags the heat to where you start and stop and the frame will pull there. If you weld 4 quarters, opposite to each other it gives you the best chance of keeping a straight frame because the heat is not concentrated in one spot

I would drop the bottom end from the frame. I made up a simple frame/engine jig to keep everything squared away while welding.

Back