Show me your Hardtail stretch / no stretch

^that looks good. I think I may do the fake ass oil bag in that manner in aluminum and polish it. I'm thinking about leaving most of the frame and going zero stretch over 21 and 18 . Low

how are you all measuring stretch ultimately? I think for the back portion of frame it could be the distance from main frame downtube to axle. Then that compared to a stock bike.

Also of interest is the total wheelbase, but that could be lengthened via rake, even if the back part of the frame remains as short as possible.

Since diff builders use different ways to make the hardtails (some stretch this tube but not this and some this but not the other) - it seems there should be one way to measure this.

I think it would be great if someone could go measure this on their stock bike, or any bike that retains stock length swingarm. Just get that measurement from center of axle to main down tube.
Then we could compare.

When I had my hardtail put on, I asked for "no stretch". And it is pretty snug back there, between frame downtube and back fender. But I suspect that the measurement between that downtube and axle is in fact a bit more than before I cut it apart.

Of course chain adjustment will affect that a bit, but generally, I think this would be a useful measurement to compare.
I will measure mine when I get home.

For instance, I had to position my battery sideways. And the ready made round elec box kit that is available (I forget if its TC Bros, or G&L or what) wouldn't fit between airfilters and fender. Because I had too little "stretch".

But that's what I wanted - was a nice short distance between frame downtube and front of fender.

A great 'read' Punkskalar. Superb build & log.
Mines getting 'cut' this week, 0" stretch , which in my mind means the rear wheel will be the same distance from the engine as it would be as stock.
Im hoping theres room in there for the battery etc. cant see why not..Or am I mistaken?:shrug:
Heres the 'donor' as she stands today..The ugliest version of the XS !

Attachments

• hardtail project 029.jpg
    hardtail project 029.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 185
I run a 5LBS battery between the fender and backbone. Kick-Only bike, but it fits just fine and is actually much larger than I need.

Hugh

Mine has 3 inches

Attachments

• 5256032453_376f1e9d79_z.jpg
    5256032453_376f1e9d79_z.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 545
  • 5256033057_c6db6df828_z.jpg
    5256033057_c6db6df828_z.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 569
Even at 3" Brew thats not the look Im after, that still shouts 'chopper' at me,not that Im saying it doesnt look good!
BTW, I'll be slotting a pair of wire spoked wheels in mine, 19" up front & possibly a 19" rim in place of the 18" stock rim at the rear..Wonder if this'll make any difference to the room behind the engine?

If your running a 1/2" clearence on your fender, then it will be 1" less clearence than an 18" rim.
But since axles on motorcycles with chains are adjustable, you can fudge that some to be ruffly the same distance as the 18" rim.

I've never really understood wheelbase measurements on chained bikes. Manufacturers usually put one number. I assume this is the initial set up. Then your wheelbase will expand over the chains life.

so I've got 21.5 inches from frame downtube measured as level as eyeball would allow, back to center of axle bolt.
And this is what it looks like. I'd asked for no stretch, but there is some, I'm pretty sure - that's why I'd love to know what a stock one measures. I also have some rake added. I asked for 3-5 deg. I'm ok with the geometry at this point.
So my wheelbase is longer, and it is a chopper! Supposed to be!
"it's a chopper, baby, a chopper". But pretty short for a chopper.
ps: seat is just photoshopped in....

full

so I've got 21.5 inches from frame downtube measured as level as eyeball would allow, back to center of axle bolt.
And this is what it looks like. I'd asked for no stretch, but there is some, I'm pretty sure - that's why I'd love to know what a stock one measures. I also have some rake added. I asked for 3-5 deg. I'm ok with the geometry at this point.
So my wheelbase is longer, and it is a chopper! Supposed to be!
"it's a chopper, baby, a chopper". But pretty short for a chopper.
ps: seat is just photoshopped in....

full

So Em, You ever going to finish this thing?

Here are a couple different ones that i have built and you best bet if you want to create your own stretch is buy a UNIVERSAL HARD TAIL TRAVIS sells one and you can cut it down to size i do it all the time

Attachments

• drop seat small.JPG
    drop seat small.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 291
  • ww small.JPG
    ww small.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 311
  • blue1.JPG
    blue1.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 363
  • obike.jpg
    obike.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 346
  • BLACK BIKE SM.GIF
    BLACK BIKE SM.GIF
    71.5 KB · Views: 330
how are you all measuring stretch ultimately? I think for the back portion of frame it could be the distance from main frame downtube to axle. Then that compared to a stock bike.

Also of interest is the total wheelbase, but that could be lengthened via rake, even if the back part of the frame remains as short as possible.

Since diff builders use different ways to make the hardtails (some stretch this tube but not this and some this but not the other) - it seems there should be one way to measure this.

I think it would be great if someone could go measure this on their stock bike, or any bike that retains stock length swingarm. Just get that measurement from center of axle to main down tube.
Then we could compare.

But that's what I wanted - was a nice short distance between frame downtube and front of fender.

Even better if someone had a CAD drawing then we could do variations and get a really good understanding on where the variables come in and how they affect it. Anyone has a stock frame in AutoCAD then I can modify it and work some variables and post for the group.

gordonscott: I love the headlight on the 0Deg bike, any idea what it is and where I can get a price on it?

Back