Snapped a Clutch Cable

SINKING78

Oil, Grease, & Gas Please
Reaction score
Every time someone does a long run they always list in their "should take with you list": A spare clutch cable! I NEVER really thought that was an issue until today. The cable, only 2 years old, met his maker today... Great ride already and on the home stretch, shifting into 3rd... "clink" There it goes... AHHH!! Fun time turns into where's the shade I can hang out while waiting an hour and a half for a trailer to arrive..(yes, I was lucky enough to be riding with someone to go grab my trailer) Dumb story short, I'm not going to carry and extra clutch cable with me but, I get why on a LONG run you might want to because waiting an hour and a half wasn't much fun. If I was stuck in the middle of nowhere with NO help I would feel like I just moved.

As my fellow rider pulled off to get the trailer I didn't have the typical pity party one might take on himself at this time.. I tried to fix it..:wink2: I pulled what was left of the cable from the handle bar thinking I could pull it like a jocky shift. Nope, that don't work.:shrug: haha well, I tried. So I whipped out my trusty smart phone and ordered a new cable from Mikes before the trailer even arrived:thumbsup:

Now I just hope that all the bad talk about Mikes isn't true.. I've had nothing but good luck with them folks:) :bike:

Their clutch cable is at the top of the "DO NOT BUY" list. They break in as little as 200 miles. If you must buy one from Mike's, get 2 and carry the other with you, you're gonna need it, lol.

Happened to me a little more than a week ago. As I was traveling to my mechanic, I was a scary stop, but I made it 26 miles on a highway to his shop. Thank good he operates right off a major highway, cause when I finally stopped i was only 1 block from his shop, just pushed it from there.

The Motion Pro aftermarket brand is a very good cable. Any shop can get you one. The original is also good (but expensive). 3M at 650Central has a special "Easy-Pull" cable that is also very good.

Motion pro from any vendor who has it in stock. I have been thinking about doing a custom order of maybe ten each of custom length clutch cables. I think everyone stocks just the long cable for the specials. I was thinking roadster length and drag bar/ super bike bar length. Anyone think this would be worth doing?

I too had one of MikesXS's clutch cables break on me. Luke for me it was in my driveway.
I highly recommend the 'EZ Pull' cable from 650Central.

wow, this is pretty common, mine just broke on me in my garage, I was looking the bike over and I noticed the that cable was pulling apart a little at the handle, so I did the smart thing and pulled a couple more times :) and what do you know it fully broke. So I ordered a hydraulic replacements form Hugh. Should arrive any time now

My cable broke 100 miles from home (of course). a guy in our group had a mini vise grip that we used for a make shift clutch lever. I only had to use the make shift lever a couple of times but it worked when needed. as luck would have it I wasn't too far from an expressway so I didn't have to shift much and shifted clutchless most of the time. Made it home and ordered a Motion Pro cable...good cable and much thicker than the stocker.

Motion Pro all the way. Some things, ya just can't be cheap on. Not like they cost a fortune to get the name-brand stuff either!

Yes, the Motion Pro is only about $20, the O.E.M. $30 to $35. I know the one from Mike's is tempting at only $13.50 but figure you'll need 2 or more of them and then they aren't that cheap after all. I've had no problems with any of their other cables, just the clutch.

Yes, right up at the top, where the wire goes into the lead ball or barrel. Here's a comparison shot of the Mike's cable (on the right) next to a Motion Pro. The Mike's cable is visibly skinnier. It's too skinny and just doesn't hold up.

2ZCXZXU.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the consumate thread on broken clutch cable panic :)
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11952

But I carry a couple of the little set screw barrels I describe there instead of a whole new cable. They will last me long enough until I can get a new cable. Proven.

I got the barrels at a moped repair place near where I was. He offered to make a whole new cable. I opted for a barrel followed up by ordering a Motionpro. The moped guy instantly knew what I was trying to describe. I'm glad I had seen them...somewhere...

Their clutch cable is at the top of the "DO NOT BUY" list. They break in as little as 200 miles. If you must buy one from Mike's, get 2 and carry the other with you, you're gonna need it, lol.

Where can I get a correct grey case cable for a 73 TX650 other than Mikes ???

Back