So, today was a good day.

Oops...may be a double post. Love the thread, love the bike, love this forum. New member and re-entering XS650B owner...can't wait to get it! I'll be asking lots of questions once I get it and start fiddling with it. Thanks in advance!

Hey, guys...

I'm out there working, and I want to reduce the bulk/complexity of my fuel feeds by running one little conical microfilter in the line to the carb, as opposed to one filter in each of the petcock lines to the tee. In order to do that, because of tight confines, the filter itself might have to have its inlet a bit higher than its outlet. Is that okay as long as it's flowing in the right direction? Thanks!

Marty, welcome! And thanks... glad you like the bike and the thread, as well as the forum! I'd be down the shitter without these guys... still be trying to sort out the cargo straps and how to get her out of my buddy's pickup. :p I need help with ev-er-ee-thing! :p

I did the single carb thing mainly because I just got fed up wasting all my time fingerf*cking those stock carbs. :( Nothing I tried worked, so I took a custom route. If I can't go through it, I'll go 'round it. Thanks to joe-wiseguy for the lovely intake, and griz and twins for the tuning help, as well as many others in supporting roles (additional useful information, kleenex, nipple... :p )

Hang close... gotta get this posted and get an answer so I can get done! Anxious to see what you'll be working on! You're in the right place!

TC

Last edited:
Sorry For late reply out for a ride. i don't think that will cause a problem slightly higher the weight of the fuel in the tank gravity and siphon action should all come into play.

Last edited:
Hi, John!

No worries! Hope you had a nice ride! :)

I think I'm okay on the placement of the filter. All set now... nice new Motion Pro line from the petcocks to the carb... one filter. I can't see how it can possibly weep! I turned the fuel on to check, but have not run her yet. Will try to do that tomorrow, weather and wifey permitting. :)

Thanks for the recommendation, John! I had never heard of this fuel line and it seems like superior stuff! :)

OH! Ordered a National Cycle flyscreen. I expect it this week and will update when I install it!

TC

Glad to help. I used the black neoprene hose for years. Something about yamaha petcocks they would weep around the hose no matter how mutch I tightend the clamp. Then when the ethinol fuels started melting carb boots. I went to the yamaha dealer asked what was the best hose and he said motion pro gray I bought some it worked no leaks. I gave a few tests needle nose plyers pull and squeeze passed not easy to destroy. Freezer test not as plyable still bends and returns. What a nice day these bikes are so mutch fun I haven't Garaged it Midnight ride. Glad to see you got your fuel system done right :thumbsup:

TeeCat, When I read how you had two filters, I was going to reccomend using just one between the tee and carb. You changed it before I finished reading the thread. The way you have it now has fewer connections, less places for a leak.
Scabber, good to hear your doing good and the bikes good too. I spent a few hours out riding the Honda around the back roads.
Was busy yesterday cleaning out a friends carbs, 4 of them. He has an 82 Yamaha Maxim XJ750.
Got it out a week ago and wouldn't run very well. The float bowls, 3 of the four has blobs of yellow crud. 3 out of 4 slides would only open half way then stick solid.
A couple hours of work, a few cans of carb cleaner and it runs much better.
He still needs to replace one of the plug wire caps. It looks like a po dropped it, a scuff mark on the headlight, the front cam cover, a slightly bent fin by the spark plug and the funky cap.
With it running if you touch the cap it bites. I trimmed the wire a bit and got a better connection, it just tingles now, no bite.
I told him they cost around $5 to $7 each.
Leo

Hi, guys!

John, still have not had the chance to run the bike yet, but thanks again!

You changed it before I finished reading the thread. The way you have it now has fewer connections, less places for a leak.

Exactly, Leo! That was part of my rationale in changing to one filter. Should be just fine This hose seems like really good stuff too... plus I can use 1/4" all the way.

Leo, I don't envy you messing about with those 4 carbs! I couldn't get two to cooperate!

TC

T cat I don't think you will have any fuel line problems. Mines been on a year now not a trace of fuel out side of the line plenty on the inside. Good to hear from you xsleo maybe we can all get together again this summer. Maybe Baltimore roundup 2. I sure had a lot of fun on the last one. I think Skidro might have married that pretty girl he was riding with just from what I pick up from the other garage site he hasen't changed the seat since he declined on a 250 miler. I spent the winter doing a kitchen remodle it turned out nice. come down and see me if have a mind to. The grandchildren have got your room for the next couple of weeks you know you are always welcome.

Last edited:
John, I'm sorry... I just saw this post! Thank you so much for your help and recommendation on the fuel line. Sure looks nice... still need to find time to try it out... installing my flyscreen took priority. Been too hot and humid anyway. I'll let you know how it goes.

I could do a few miles and a little EC Brewery meetup if Leo gets down to see you.

I have been wanting to contact Skidro, but I can't find his e-mail address... I know I had it! :(

TC

T cat If you go you go to the other XS650 garage site send him a PM I'am sure he will respond. Once I get my new tire mounted I will be ready to go. :bike:

It was about 88F today, and sunny. So I took the TX out, mainly to road test the new National Cycle flyscreen. Not only did it not fall off :p , but it does indeed seem to split the air current a bit! Plus, I think it just complements the bike, and it was money well spent.

So, we did 32 local miles, at varying speeds up to about 65 mph, with some good spirited pulls. The bike idles stably - something I could never seen to achieve with the twin 38s - though it's a "racey" idle... sounds a little cammed. But it's stable, and she seems to like it right around 12-1300 rpm, hot. Throttle response is immediate.

There was one isolated instance when I had geared down to make a low-speed left turn, and she "spat", and I thought she was going to shut off, but she recovered with a little throttle. That kind of thing scares me because it reminds me of when I had an electrical issue that killed power and blew the main fuse in a left turn once... I'm almost positive that was due to lack of grommets in the headlight bucket, though... I could never reproduce it once I replaced the grommets. But I hate those little, rare, elusive, instantaneous "what was that??!!" HATE them! :(

But she's running so well that I'm afraid to touch anything! My new fuel line config consists of Motion Pro Gray (recommended by Scabber) from petcock to carb, and shows no signs of weeping. Weather permitting next week, I might take her to work one day. Still keeping an ear on the "whine", but it doesn't seem to be getting any louder, and it sure doesn't affect the way she runs. The oil weep... meh... I wipe up a little after.

There were a few missed/clumsy shifts when she was hot... my fault, I think. You have to be really directive with her. All in all... good, good outing.

TC

Last edited:
TEE CAT,
Your bike is looking real good these day's. So, that little faring take's off some of the air, huh? HMMMM.

Thanks, Gordon! :)

Yeah, it really does seem to make a little hole in the wind! :) Fun little add-on! :) Grinder has a flyscreen too, I just learned. Looks sharp on his bike!

TC

OH! And RG will be happy to know that I tried my electric leg when the bike was at op temp, after I got back home. Fired up immediately. :) That starter motor is one unsettling sound, though!

Tc

Back