Solenoid Newbie question

Chachiboy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I need to replace my solenoid. Clicks like crazy when I press the start button.

My question is do I have to buy a solenoid specific to xs650? Mike's xs sells them but shipping to me costs more than the unit. If I can, what do I look for

Quick search on Amazon and there are several on there - doesn't specify if it's for an xs though.

If it " clicks like crazy" it's probably working. Check your ground cable under the engine and the other connections.

Here's a better description.

Put in new battery yesterday.
Press starter button and it clicks
Turn on off, tried several more times and it continues to click.
Open the throttle a bit, hit start button and it clicks. Tried again with throttle open it starts.
Turn bike off. Try again with no throttle.. It clicks.
Each time I press the button, it seems to drain new battery (neutral light fades).
Kept trying..nothing..no lights.. Battery dead (?)

Will the starter engage and spin if you short between the two large cable terminals on the solenoid? That effectively bypasses the unit. If that doesn't work then the problem is somewhere else, like the starter motor itself or some of the connections. My starter didn't work at all when I got the bike, no clicking or anything. The issue turned out to be the cable connection on the starter motor. It was all rusty. I cleaned it all up and the starter has worked flawlessly ever since, going on 12 years now.

Each time I press the button, it seems to drain new battery (neutral light fades).
Sounds like a connection problem. Check and clean your grounds and also the connections at the solenoid.

Or possibly a very bad starter. Does the motor kick over OK?

Pull back the insulated covers on the solenoid, then take a sturdy screwdriver with a plastic or wood handle, put one end on one of the terminals, lower the shaft onto the other and it will spark a bit but the starter should at least growl.
Bike in neutral.

Back