some wiring diagrams

Whoa..................this is getting too confusing. i can't figure out if you have a 79 or 80??

You said the VIN is a 79..................have you checked both the engine VIN and the frame VIN (on the steering neck)??

Somewhere along the postings, you said it had a TCI and it has points??? Can't use both!

Questions:
Does the tailight have just a single bulb?
or
Does the tailight have 2 bulbs, plus 2 licence plate lights?

ANSWERS:
the previous owner had already started a chop and those peices were no longer on the bike.

But to straighten things out, both VIN #s are registered as a 79, which is why im confused that you say it has a TCI ignition which i did not believe 79s did. BUT i noticed when i dismantled the electrical, i had a TCI which only made me more confused because like i stated previously, i didnt think 79s had that. I also came across my Reg/Rec which is 8 PIN which also leads me towards an 80-84 alternator. Im thinking someone had to swap it out since the VIN still comes back as a 79.

:banghead:.........regardless of the 79 VIN, sounds like its an 80, that a PO installed points on after the TCI failed???

Maybe at the factory it got the 79 VIN (tail end of production), but got the 80 TCI wiring etc???

I completely agree, i was thinkin the same thing, it could hvave been one of the last 79s and had an TCI put on coming into the 80s versions. But either, way thanks alot for all your help! Trust me, its just as frustrating for me... ha.

Need some help! Im getting my 72 Xs650 finally up & running. here's my problem: Im not sure how to wire the coils up (2 wires black & blue) or where the contact breaker wires go either.

been looking @ schematics for a few days now but keep coming up with conflicting ways to wire it up.

I have a new reg/rec & I ordered these parts:
14-0901.jpg

shane, the part in your pic are a Pamco ignition. Very good installation instuctions are at www.yamahaxs650.com
The site is Pamcopete's, he designed and built the ignition.
As far as wiring up your bike It depends on the parts you have. What new reg/rec do you have? If your reg/rec is Mike's #24-2089 it can be set up to plug directly into the stock harness.
Leo

I'm probably going to need some of these diagrams, as i have to patch wiring in the headlight bucket and the handlebar switches and the colors won't match up completely. So thanks for posting these. the simplified diagrams help a noob like me!!!!

Quick question: do the two fused wires coming off the fuse block (1 for brake light switch and one for the brake light itself) have to be one two seperate fused circuits or can they run off one fuse?

Thanks!

a question about the reg/rec;
im doing a pma conversion on my xs now idd like to know does the reg/rec need to be on power all the time ?
like in the schematic below or can there be a switch between the red wire from the rec/reg to the battery?
the capacitator is a battery btw.

Attachments

• xs650-1-1.jpg
    xs650-1-1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 529
MN Bobber, on your brake lights power flows from the fuse to both the front and rear brake switches. When you use a brake the switch sends power to the bulb where it lights the bulb then goes to ground.
Wally, the red wire from the reg/rec to the battery only sends power to the battery. And then only while the engine is running. The diodes in the rectifier prevent power from flowing from the battery to the reg/rec. Diodes act like a switch, when electricity flows one way, as in from the reg/rec to the battery, the switch is on. When electricity flows the other way, as in from the battery to the reg/rec, the switch is off.
Leo

for the 1981 simplified, posted by inxs. the bottom diagram with oem alternator, ignition and starter. to rewire mine and make it kick start only, can i use that and just leave out the starter, starter solenoid and ignition wires/parts in the diagram?
complete newb when it comes to wiring.
thanks

mikail

I have a question, if anyone can help i sure could use it. I have a xs650 bobber i did the wiring it runs but will not charge itself.

Brian, A bit more info is needed. What year and model is your bike? What parts are you using? Did it charge before Bobbing?
The charging system had some changes in 80. They work differently than the older bikes.
Leo

Hello, I have a 81 and Im attempting to re-wire it to the simplified and complete wiring diagram, everything was going fine till i got to the ignitor unit and pickup coil. The ignitor unit has 6 wires; Brown, Black, Yellow/Red, Yellow/Green, White/Green and White/Red. The pick-up coil has Yellow/Green marked (Drive), Brown/White marked (Pass), and Brown marked (Ground). I've looked all over and haven't been able to find this combination of wires anywhere. Can anyone help me out whith this?

Last edited:
Guys, when I look at wiring diagrams my brain starts to hurt, my eyes go foggy and I get dizzy.
There are so many I can't get a handle on the right one.
I'm starting with the wiring from scratch with a 277 rephase + Pamco Ingnition with the 2 green coils + RD/RZ PM alternator + kick only + small battery + turn signals both ends as well as head and tail light + speedo, maybe nuetral. I can't see anything that ticks all the boxes, is there anyone that can sketch this out for someone with electrical dyslexia.

Back