some wiring diagrams

I think I've reached the level of clinical obsession with eliminating wires. Here is another one, this time using a PMA / Pamco with a breaker instead of a fuse and a capacitor instead of a battery.

SimplifiedwiringPMAandhalleffectignition.jpg

Do you need a breaker or will a 30a fuse work?:confused:

I have the 81 rec/ reg comb and a pamco ing,stock alt, battery and elec start. the red wire off the battery going to the reg/ keeps giving me a a 2 amp draw and kills my battery. so I tried putting it on the switched side of the battery. now with it hooked up that way I turn my switch off to kill the bike it stays running. I don't have a kill switch and don't want to run one. to keep a clean look. also I can't find any clean small dirtbike style ones that work with this ignition.

benway, do you have an 81 stator? I ask this because you don'y say what the bike is. Might want to put the bike info in your signature. That way the info will be there and we won't have to ask what the bike is everytime.
If you put the 80 combo reg/rec on a 70-79 bike you need to isolate the brushs from ground. The Three nylon screw mod.
If the stator is 80 up no rewire of the brushes needed.
Ok lets say you have an 81 with stock alternator and the combo reg/rec. You have a severe drain on the battery. Rewiring the red from the battery side of the switch to the other side won't fix your problem. It just keeps power fed to the rest of ther bike. Hence the no shut off.
My guess is a bad reg/rec, one or more of the diodes in the rectifer half of the reg/rec is allowing a current flow from the red wire to ground.
Do you have a spare reg/rec to try?
In the repair manual there is a procedure to test a reg/rec on the rec half. Page 180 in the Clymer book.
Do the test.
Leo

Can someone please tell me what the numbers are on the resistors/diodes on the pamco ignition. I have been trying to get up with pete and mikesxs to see if I can just buy the board with no luck. I have a split/burnt resistor on it and cant read what it is. If I can just get it at radio shack and replace it, that would be fine.
1979 xs650.
Thanks Glenn

If you haven't had the Pamco too long it may still be under warranty. If so contact Pamcopete and get it fixed under warranty.
Some times Pete gets a bit behind in his emails and can take A few days to get back to you. He is just one guy.
You might try a PM on this site. Pete will respond to this post when he reads it.
Leo

Pete got back to me... we are just trying to figure out what to do... Thanks

So there are a crap load of diagrams on here that show the 20A fuse between the regulator/rectifier and the capacitor. But there is a path between the regulator/rectifier and the rest of the system that the 20A fuse does not protect. This doesn't seem right but I'm relatively new at this stuff.

I have already started wiring using this diagram, but I would think that cap should be wired directly to the regulator/rectifier and the 20A fuse should be just before the key. The diagram at the top of the page shows a 30A breaker in what I think is the correct position for the 20A fuse I am using.

Do most of these diagrams have the fuse in the wrong place or am I just retarded...
simplifiedWiring3.jpg

Your not retarded.
The red wire from the reg/rec should go straight to the cap, or if you use a battery, the battery. The main fuse is to protect the everything hooked to the power source. In this casse the PMA and cap. Or if a battery the PMA and battery.
In this case where the fuse is between the cap and PMA probably won't blow when needed but if it does the reg/rec looses its load from the cap and then it goes wild and can send surges up to 20 volts into the system.
A fuse doesn't really protect the system from a power surge from the PMA. A fuse protects the system from overloads that draw more than the fuse is rated for. Like shorted wires, burn out components and such.
Leo

Thanks, it's kinda what I figured, but I wanted to make sure. It sucks that there are so many diagrams on here that show the fuse in the wrong spot.

Anyone done the PAMCO + E-Advancer diagram??

I have done one but not sure its 100% right... need Pete or someone to confirm!

NOTE: I have NOT tested this and need confirmation that its right...

simplifiedWiringristic.jpg

EDIT: PS: Thanks to the original 'drawer' of the diagram that I used... and added e-advancer

Last edited:
So.. I have somewhat of an enigma (I think). I have what's titled as a 1972, but I think it has a 77-78 Motor and carbs (previous research) with points. I just bought a Pamco with the (non-High Power) single coil.

Here are 3 components I just pulled off; (what is the thing in the Middle?)
Rxzhe2Lh.jpg

So, it's the OLDER, separate regulator rectifier. I can't seem to find a diagram for my setup. I only have a headlight and tail light. Also, my Ignition is similar to a car/marine. There's no kill switch, it just turns to start, then release to run.

My mess;
VScf4Yyh.jpg

Anyone done the PAMCO + E-Advancer diagram??

I have done one but not sure its 100% right... need Pete or someone to confirm!

NOTE: I have NOT tested this and need confirmation that its right...

simplifiedWiringristic.jpg

EDIT: PS: Thanks to the original 'drawer' of the diagram that I used... and added e-advancer

Your diagram looks to be correct, except for one thing. As mentioned previously, the 20 amp fuse would be better located just immediately before the ignition switch. Its preferred to have the rec/reg and the capacitor connected directly together.

Leejin;

Left to right:
Rectifier, capacitors (2), regulator.

Have you looked in the "Tech" section under wiring diagrams?

I strongly recommend you replace the regulator with something similar to the VR-115 regulator (automotive NOS). Toss the old rectifier in the garbage and buy a new 3 phase rectifier or 2 bridge rectifiers (radio shack).

Leejin;

Left to right:
Rectifier, capacitors (2), regulator.

Have you looked in the "Tech" section under wiring diagrams?

I strongly recommend you replace the regulator with something similar to the VR-115 regulator (automotive NOS). Toss the old rectifier in the garbage and buy a new 3 phase rectifier or 2 bridge rectifiers (radio shack).

Thanks.. where do the Capacitors fit in? There is only one as far as I can tell..

Hello,

I've gone through these, but, can't seem to find what I think I need. Maybe some of the experts can give me a hand and steer me to the right drawing:

1979 xs650 special
kick start only
hughs handbuilt pma
lights / signals
8 cell battery
2 coils
points ignition

Thanks

CooperXS650

Back