some wiring diagrams

So if I want to keep it simple and, save money on not buying multiple different sizes of wire would there be an issue with running 14g everywhere? Or will certain things like tail lights that would draw a smaller current and that you recommended using 16g be affected by the oversize wire?

That one is for solid wire. The stranded wires can carry a bit more current.
Solid wire is fine in a house but a bit stiff for a bike.
Leo

A bit of overkill, but check this out. along about page 23.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/list/AC%2043.13-1B/$FILE/Chapter%2011.pdf

So, this is as close as I can get to a wiring diagram on here;
wiring.jpg

My question is; How do I wire this 4-Post ignition to it. With my (terrible) logic, I at first hooked up the red/white and blue/white in the wrong order and couldn't get it to start.. I swapped them and now it will actually try to start.. But I think I have my ignition switch wired wrong.. Could anyone modify the wiring diagram to include a 4-Post Ignition switch? It's an On, and Starter switch in one, similar to car/boat/etc.. Thanks everyone for ALL the help.

no there are many more here

Um.. Isn't this the thread we're in?

I have scoured this section, and the diagram I've posted is the closest thing I can find, but for some reason (that did NOT work with my Ignition Switch) it has the red/white and Blue/white in a wiring that confuses me.

When I go to start my bike, it tries to start in between the "On" position.. It's strange.. It won't start like a car, but it will try before, and after, the "On" position. It won't start, I assume because the starter and ignition are not firing at the same time.

Again, just looking for answers.

Thanks,

yes it is I could not help myself.
thanks for not getting pissed at me.
sorry for not knowing the answer.= to Your real question Sir

so what year bike do You have?
what ignition does it have too?

yes it is I could not help myself.
thanks for not getting pissed at me.
sorry for not knowing the answer.= to Your real question Sir

so what year bike do You have?
what ignition does it have too?

I THINK it's around 81.. No idea really.. It's registered as a 72, but it has some newer things I think (PO made a rat's nest and pretty poor decisions all around). I have the Pamco Ignition and the OEM Alternator. I want to swap out for the Chrysler Regulator and Radioshack Rect. But I'm pretty limited with my electrical knowledge, so it's very intimidating.

On your switch, if it's like the one in the link, hook battery power to where it says BATT, the ignition to IGN, The wire to the starter on ST. the center terminal. Everything else to ACC. A switch like that sends power out to the ignition and accessories when in the on position. In the start position it sends power out to the ignition and starter relay.
Hook the wire from The ST terminal to the red/white wire of the starter relay, ground the blue/white wire.
Oh If the bike is titled and registered as a 72, then it's a 72. It may have nothing else on it that's a 72, but it's still a 72.
Leo

On your switch, if it's like the one in the link, hook battery power to where it says BATT, the ignition to IGN, The wire to the starter on ST. the center terminal. Everything else to ACC. A switch like that sends power out to the ignition and accessories when in the on position. In the start position it sends power out to the ignition and starter relay.
Hook the wire from The ST terminal to the red/white wire of the starter relay, ground the blue/white wire.
Oh If the bike is titled and registered as a 72, then it's a 72. It may have nothing else on it that's a 72, but it's still a 72.
Leo

Thanks man.. That's how I have it wired right now. Do you know why it might be turning over slightly before the "On" position? It will turn over before the ON.. then I go to start, it won't do anything.. then when I back it off.. right before the "On" again, it will turn over.

Very Odd.. Thanks for any info again.

Leo

Wait.. the brown wires from the Rect.. where do they go?? The ACC? Or the IGN??

The one you linked is a used one. If yours is too it could just be dirty inside.
Or it could just be worn out.
If yours is new then it could just be defective.
If you can take it apart you may see what's wrong. If dirty just clean it. If something looks out of place try moving it back in place.
Leo

Here is a quick mock-up of how I have my 4 post ignition wired;
swbJNPg.jpg

I have another thread somewhere (This forum layout is confusing to me), So I'm sorry if you've seen this.

I'm just pretty desperate at this point.

That should work. Have you tried kick starting it yet?
If it runs ok and when you turn the switch off the engine stops then just kick start it.
If it gives you problems just chuck that switch in the trash and put a on/off type switch in and wire in a push button for the e-start.
Leo

That should work. Have you tried kick starting it yet?
If it runs ok and when you turn the switch off the engine stops then just kick start it.
If it gives you problems just chuck that switch in the trash and put a on/off type switch in and wire in a push button for the e-start.
Leo

No.. It won't start. Even with kick. It tries to start before I get to the "On" position.. won't try when I turn to "Start", but will try on the way back, right before the "On" position again.

I think I just have a bad switch. I'm going to test it tonight to see if there's even voltage going to the ignition when in the ON position. The switch is pretty old.

Thanks man.

I don't want to sound stupid, but.... On my selenoid, I have offset terminal hookups. I think one is for power in, and the other is for power out to the starter. Which one is which. I don't want to hook it up backwards, and damage it. If I just had an actual side picture of the side of the bike. Maybe a picture of the cable routing of the right side would help. Thanks for being patient with me..... Paula

for the red wire from the e advancer to one of terminals on the coil, it also needs to have a wire run off of that to the kill switch/ or red/white wire. can someone show an example of this? or do i just tap into red wire from E-advancer->coil from kill switch.

Back