Something is not right here...

Honkytonkrob

XS650 Member
Reaction score

Hello,

This bike was just bought and ran fine on the test drive. Got it home and something didn’t seem right. Smoke coming out of the intake when trying to start, hard kick back when kick starting, now it won’t start with starter or kick. Didn’t some searching on here and found some similar threads but decided to make a shorty video of what this was doing.

Anyone XS heads in Minnesota? :)

Last edited:
It may also be assembled incorrectly. The notched ring that holds the unit on has a raised lip around it's I.D. That should face out. I'm not seeing it in your video .....

EOzB3RW.jpg

It might run but it shouldn't run fine with the advance unit sticking like that. When you pull the weights out to the stops and release them, the springs should pull them back in. Yours is sticking. I also noticed when you pull them out, the whole advance unit rotates instead of the advance rod in the center. That seems to indicate you have the 1st issue TwoMany mentioned, the advance rod is too short. The advance rod should rotate freely and easily inside the cam. Can you even rotate yours?

... I also noticed when you pull them out, the whole advance unit rotates instead of the advance rod in the center...

Good eye, 5twins!

That's not good. The backside of the advancer could be damaged now. Best to do a total disassembly and inspection of the thing.

Back