Spark troubles .

Lu2

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I replaced the brushes in my stator last night now I’ve lost spark. Anyone have a suggestion on where to start looking or testing ? 1981 xs650 special.

Andy

Last edited:
Welcome! It may help if you share the year model or a pic of your stator

Yep, that's one scenario that comes to mind: on a "late-model", Type A regulator system, the brown brush wire carries switched, fused 12volts and must be isolated from ground. If it was inadvertently grounded to the stator housing, it would blow a fuse (perhaps brown or main depending on where spliced) and disable the ignition circuit. Other possibilities exist:umm:

Yep, that's one scenario that comes to mind: on a "late-model", Type A regulator system, the brown brush wire carries switched, fused 12volts and must be isolated from ground. If it was inadvertently grounded to the stator housing, it would blow a fuse (perhaps brown or main depending on where spliced) and disable the ignition circuit. Other possibilities exist:umm:
So your saying check that the brush wire itself didn’t somehow ground against the stator? I didn’t see any blown fuse. I’ll double check both of those options, thanks

brush wires should be routed like this.
LateBrushesOutsideLabeled.jpg

Battery charged up? Both spark plugs must be attached to the plug leads and grounded any time the motor is cranked over.
Don't think the sidestand ignition interlock switch came along till the 1982 Heritage special.

Battery charged up? Both spark plugs must be attached to the plug leads and grounded any time the motor is cranked over.
Don't think the sidestand ignition interlock switch came along till the 1982 Heritage special.
I’ll check the battery. Should be ok . It was brand new. Never cranked it with wires off plugs . Had the plug grounded against frame to check spark when it wouldn’t fire . How would I test the pickup on the outside of the stator. That box is rarely mentioned or discussed. And I don’t see them forsale anywhere.

How would I test the pickup on the outside of the stator. That box is rarely mentioned or discussed. And I don’t see them forsale anywhere.
They're rarely the problem (hence little discussion). Easy enough to check: white/red wire & white/green wire at the stator block connector should be ~ 700 Ohms between each one of those and the white/black wire.

While you have the multi-meter out, I'd check for voltage at the ignition coil on the Red/white wire

They're rarely the problem (hence little discussion). Easy enough to check: white/red wire & white/green wire at the stator block connector should be ~ 700 Ohms between each one of those and the white/black wire.

While you have the multi-meter out, I'd check for voltage at the ignition coil on the Red/white wire
Sounds good. Thank you for the advice. I’ll let you know what I find

Open the connector to check. The pickup side wires will be black gray and orange.

Well final answer is the guy behind the wrench. My stator wasn’t fully seated . It was hung/bound up when I tightened it up and was way off of flush. So seated and tightened and one quick bump of the starter she fired up. Thanks for all the advice on here .

Back