Speed/RPM help

mikess

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys hoping someone can help me out. My first build is on the road. Its extremely minimal with no speedo/tach etc. So i was hoping someone can ride their bike with stock gearing and let me know at 4000 rpm what speed in 1-5 gear are you traveling? Im gonna have my bro pace me so i can learn what the engine sounds like so ill have a rough idea what my engine is running at and how fast im going. Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_4295.jpg
    IMG_4295.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 160
Here is an Excel spreadsheet that will show RPM vs MPH for all combinations of sprockets, gears and tires. The yellow boxes are pull downs to select your numbers.

MPH vs RPM

great! if im reading it correctly, stock gearing 5th gear is 4117 rpm for 60 mph? might be my second time ever looking at an excel spreadsheet ever. thanks

Ive considered a bike speedo. need to look into them.

mikess,

That's with stock 17/34 sprockets and an 18" wheel. You can use then pull downs to select other values.

If you've got some technical know how you could build a GPS speedo that displays speed by means of lights, or 7-seg displays with the following:

http://adafruit.com/products/746 - GPS module
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ATMEGA328P-PU/ATMEGA328P-PU-ND/1914589 - AVR Atmega 328p

You would need the supporting components for the uC, which is only a couple of resistors and caps plus a crystal and a voltage regulator. It is also breadboard/protoboard friendly if you don't have access to PCB printing. You would also need the LED's, or 7 seg displays, etc. Total build cost would be under $60 if prices are sourced right, and you'd have a 1 off speedo to boot.

If interested, I've built the guts of one (waiting on my buddy to machine the faceplate) with a program that captures the GPS data @ 10Hz and maps the speed to 40 LEDs that light up incrementally that you could leverage.

If you have one of those new fangled phones with gps receivers (iphone, adroid etc) there are free apps that let you use them as a gps based speedometer.

Back