speedo option?

benway0007

regret what you didnt do
Reaction score
any other way of running a speedo other then the front wheel? and has anyone run the elec tach instead of the cable operated?

Last edited:
How about using GPS or smartphone with speedo app on a ram mount? I use GPS with ram mount on my bobber.

if yer not deaf or stupid you don't need a tach on these bikes. and if it weren't for many laws you wouldn't need a speedo either....It should have a speedo that reads "fast" "really fast" and "ludicrous speed" .....ride safe ;) Pull over to use the I phone!!! yer mom will luv ya for it!

I wish someone made just a basic odometer maybe mounted right on the speedo drive on the wheel. Don't want to rely on the reserve to let me know when I'm running out of gas

I wish someone made just a basic odometer maybe mounted right on the speedo drive on the wheel. Don't want to rely on the reserve to let me know when I'm running out of gas

I'm sure you could get one made for a big rig, then mount a mirror on it so you can read it going down the road. :D

I'm thinking about ditching my tach and speedo and using the gps on my iphone. The vibrations are making my gauges freak out

Do you have the damper rubber rings on the speedo and tach? What exactly are your gauges doing? My speedo and tach have no problems at all.

Are your cables lubed or are they running dry?

To actually answer your question, benway0007, magnetic pickups for the speedo are very common, as are electronic tachs. Most electronic speedos can be programmed for the rolling diameter of the wheel they read from; some have a Hall effect pickup that threads into the speedo drive in the front hub, some have a pickup that you secure to the fork or swingarm and a magnet that you install by drilling into the head of a brake rotor or rear sprocket bolt. Vapor (from Trail Tech), Veypor (from Nonlinear Engineering), and Acewell (from Electrosport) all make digital instruments with tach and speedo functions, and all are programmable for rolling diameter (speedo) and pulses per rpm (tach). I use either a Veypor or an Acewell, pretty much depending on the mood I'm in. If you're using an ignition like the Probe that has a tach output wire, any electronic tach will give you clean readings. Otherwise it's best to hook up the tach signal wire at the neg. terminal of the coil. The Veypor has programmable filter levels for the tach signal, to damp any spiking. With less costly units like the Acewell, a 2 megohm resistor stack is needed after the coil to get clean readings.

To actually answer your question, benway0007, magnetic pickups for the speedo are very common, as are electronic tachs. Most electronic speedos can be programmed for the rolling diameter of the wheel they read from; some have a Hall effect pickup that threads into the speedo drive in the front hub, some have a pickup that you secure to the fork or swingarm and a magnet that you install by drilling into the head of a brake rotor or rear sprocket bolt. Vapor (from Trail Tech), Veypor (from Nonlinear Engineering), and Acewell (from Electrosport) all make digital instruments with tach and speedo functions, and all are programmable for rolling diameter (speedo) and pulses per rpm (tach). I use either a Veypor or an Acewell, pretty much depending on the mood I'm in. If you're using an ignition like the Probe that has a tach output wire, any electronic tach will give you clean readings. Otherwise it's best to hook up the tach signal wire at the neg. terminal of the coil. The Veypor has programmable filter levels for the tach signal, to damp any spiking. With less costly units like the Acewell, a 2 megohm resistor stack is needed after the coil to get clean readings.

wow thanks. thats what i was lookin for

Back