speedometer disassemble instructions

dirtymike

shuffles
Reaction score
anybody know how to take apart this type of speedometers.
7vOPybv.jpg

UezYKCr.jpg

gynthmM.jpg

It is pretty easy, just take your time. I used a good flat blade screwdriver to kinda 'peel' away the outer ring from the bottom of the gauge to be able to lift off that outer ring. Then it's just a matter of cleaning it all up and checking everything inside for proper movement. One word of caution, if you take off the needle( pointer), mark the drag cup on the back side so you can properly orientate the pointer on re-assembly.
Then if you have messed up the ring badly, you can get some 4" shrink tube to hold it all together. Only need about a 1" piece. It works great and look's pretty good too.

got it apart, cant seem to get the needle to move with the two piece drum. Is it suppose to move clockwise or counter. It all seem to be intact, the lens was dirty but nothing seem to be broken.
mNchzSm.jpg

PLPmxNw.jpg

ae3lJhT.jpg

Wl0sU6K.jpg

I see said the blind man. Thanks all for the info. Did the usual search but missed the right stuff. Rust was binding the movement between the drum. Cleaned the glass and away it went. Thanks Dirty

Well got it working, Thanks for the input. Gordon where do you get 4" shrink tube. Sure would be nice to cover the ring. I don't think the factory intended for us to be in there. Dirty

If you haven't stretched the metal to much then replacing the bezel, as i did in my thread, it will seal as good as new.

I think the secret is leaving a bit of the bezel as original, unopened, so when reinstalling there is something for the cup to fit snugly back into

http://www.buyheatshrink.com/

heatshrink2.jpg

heatshrink3.jpg

For best results, remove and discard the bezel ring.

1. Buy a one foot section of 4" heat shrink tubing. (comes in different colors!)
2. Cut a 15/16 in strip of tubing from the one foot section.
3. Prop the Speedo / Tach face down on a .31 in high round "thing". I used a lid from a small jar of "Dromedary Diced Pimientos" (upside down to accommodate the slight curve in the glass)
4. Place the 15/16 in strip of heat shrink around the bezel.
5. Apply heat from a heat gun evenly all the way around.

Notes: The .31 dimension is from the front edge of the bezel to the work surface, with the tach / speedo face down on a suitable prop. You have to allow for the slight curve of the glass. If done exactly, there is no trimming required. A lid from a small jar of "Dromedary Diced Pimientos" works perfectly because it forms a cup to keep the glass curve from wobbling when you apply the heat.

drape.jpg

There is enough material in the 1' length of 4" heat shrink material to do 12 Tachs or Speedos, so share with your buddy.

Note: Disregard the mug with the picture of a golden. That's her food measuring cup. :D Disregard the glass of wine in the background. :wink2: That's what I take to relieve the stress of having a golden that eats everything. :doh: The Tums are to relieve the heartburn from too much drinking due to the golden. It's a viscous circle. :banghead:

maggydog.jpg

Last edited:
On the right, before the Bezel was removed , Speedo.
On the left, after the Bezel was removed and reinstalled, Taco.

full

Tighter than a fishes ........ or nuns ....

Back