Starter and starter relay

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
Anybody know the stats on the starter and starter relay? Or better yet know of a modern replacement for the starter relay? Will one from a harley work (since they are cheap and common?

Thanks

Posted via Mobile

What about the starter safety relay? Stats? Can that be replaced with anything smaller/newer?

Posted via Mobile

The starter relay from Mike's is about as cheap as you can get.
Most any 30 amp lighting relay can work to replace the safety relay.
Leo

I ended up picking up a universal one from JP cycle along with some other parts.. website it fits the xs650.

Posted via Mobile

what about lighting relay? or safety relay? i took mine off(as was shown in the diagram) any modern moduls i can use instead? do i have to?

No, you don't have to use one. On the stock set up the Safety relay was used to prevent damage to the gears between the starter and engine.
On the later models it also incorparated a relay to keep the headlight off untill the engine was running. The battery is ok when everthing is working right, but if it gets a little low it won't start well using the electric starter with the headlight on.
With the relay keeping the headlight off, full battery power can be used to start the bike.
If you use the starter then you need a starter relay. This is a relay that lets a small wire and contacts with a small current flow to control a very large current draw to crank the stater over.
Leo

No, you don't have to use one. On the stock set up the Safety relay was used to prevent damage to the gears between the starter and engine.
On the later models it also incorparated a relay to keep the headlight off untill the engine was running. The battery is ok when everthing is working right, but if it gets a little low it won't start well using the electric starter with the headlight on.
With the relay keeping the headlight off, full battery power can be used to start the bike.
If you use the starter then you need a starter relay. This is a relay that lets a small wire and contacts with a small current flow to control a very large current draw to crank the stater over.
Leo

k :) ill be kick starting it anyways. but do have a full battery. as figured out, ya need batter to start it. tnx

If you can make room for it a Ford starter relay would work great. They're cheap, dependable, can be found at any auto parts store and in a pinch they can be taken apart and repaired. My current build is getting a Ford starter relay.

If you can make room for it a Ford starter relay would work great. They're cheap, dependable, can be found at any auto parts store and in a pinch they can be taken apart and repaired. My current build is getting a Ford starter relay.

oh hey, i can give it a shot. would you mind find one on amazon, so i wont mess it up lol like which one are you going to put into your build? :bike:

Last edited:
Ford solenoids work great on everything.. I can't tell you how many projects I have used them on weather it be a bike, car, or boat..

hi, so this is what ive found.
http://www.amazon.com/1994-2003-198..._2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1336133411&sr=1-2

it is a ford solenoid, will it work?

It's more expensive than those I pointed to and probably stronger as it's rated for higher amperage diesel engines but it should work. The cheapest Ford type relay/solenoid you can buy will be rated for far more than any motorcycle will ever need. I've seen them used on winches, construction equipment, on AC motors etc.

It's more expensive than those I pointed to and probably stronger as it's rated for higher amperage diesel engines but it should work. The cheapest Ford type relay/solenoid you can buy will be rated for far more than any motorcycle will ever need. I've seen them used on winches, construction equipment, on AC motors etc.

kinda a noob question, what does the amp does? with the ford solenoid it got higher amp then the xs650, is it good? :shrug:

I'm not an electrician but I'll do my best. The amp rating is a measure of how much current the relay can handle before it melts down and burns out. The higher the numbers, the better. But like I said, any Ford type relay, even the lowest, will be rated far higher than any motorcycle relay. In this case, higher is good.

k good. thats what i thought actually :) oh and the solenoid was around 12$, tax included. but, tnx for the tip. will try to connect and see if it works :)

If you want to replace the Yamaha Mechanical Starter Safety Relay with something more up to date, just use a 5 pin electrical relay and tie the starter switch into post 87A.

Back