STARTER DELETE PROBLEMS... HELLLLLLP!

Good idea Fred. Just yesterday I dropped a washer and it rolled away somewhere??? That 2 x 2 edge would have keep it close and easy to fine. Also, the plywood soaks up oil and does not scratch bits like concrete will.

but why do it on the grass ? isn't there concrete or pavement around ? .... drain pan and cat litter are all ya need then !
Bob.......

but why do it on the grass ? isn't there concrete or pavement around ? .... drain pan and cat litter are all ya need then !
Bob.......
Hi Bob,
I can only suppose that working on the lawn is mickey's only option?
The other advantage of working in an 8' x 4' tray is that it's easier to find the parts that fall down than it is to find them when they are hiding in the grass
(or when they are buried in driveway gravel or have bounced off the concrete into the darkest corner of the garage)
and yes, the drain pan & cat litter will still be needed.

I don't wonder why people do what they do. My question is what did you use to get to that one bolt on the starter with the engine still in the frame...
offset.jpg

Regarding the "Why?" I'll just quote one of my favorite Japanese post modern performance artists:
"Something cool is its own justification."

...with respect to the subjectivity of what's "cool". 'Cause you guys know I'm over here thinking "why in the world would anybody NOT want to mutilate a stock xs, writhe in frustration amidst its broken parts, and rise from the blood and oil with a stubborn hardtail bitch?"
(Then I suppose I flip my collar and push up my shades before I grab the bars and do a burn out)

Hi mickey,
although I'm on the "WhyTF you do that???" side of the discussion here's what I'd advise someone doing bike work on someone else's pretty grass.
Buy an 8' x 4' sheet of plywood and screw 2x2s around it to make a giant drip tray & parts catch-plate to put the bike on.

fredintoon - brilliant.
There is literally nothing here but a shore, a lawn, and a gorgeous highway. So it's in the sand or wrenching in the road.
But yeah, I have idle hands and all that jazz.....

Some day way in the future when I have the privilege of asking that great Guru on the mountain some really important and mysterious questions, I will learn why one would want to remove the starter from his motorcycle. I may also learn why others remove the suspension from the rear of their motorcycles.

I would ask the Guru these questions even if I am only allowed two questions, forgoing the answer to which came first, the chicken or the egg and "what's it all about, Alfie".

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/burt+bacharach/alfie_20025979.html

We can all agree that Bacharach is magnificent. We can always do that.

It should be noted if you are gonna go with the freeze plug method, which only cost around $1.50 for a 1 53/64" plug you will definitely have to split that case. You have to tap that plug in from the inside.

Hi figure8.
ain't it possible to turn the freeze plug around backwards and tap it in from the outside?

I have researched the starter block off conundrum and this is what I have decided to do. I have removed the starter and to answer someone's question about how to remove that last bolt: I put a jack under the engine and removed all of the mounting bolts and jacked up the motor and slid it forward a bit. This will give you more room, it is still a pit to remove but it is doable. While you are at it, clean the bolts and nuts along with the holes they go into. This also aides in removing the gear cover for the starter gears.
Instead of using the pricey block off kit that utilizes the stock seal (which you should replace if you are using the kit). Nor am I going to go the freeze plug route, who wants to risk cracking a case? Instead I am using an expandable rubber plug. Like plumbers use to test water pressure in pipes. 1 and 3/4 inch or 46mm plug will fill the hole nicely, once you remove the stock seal. Use some gasket sealer on the big washer (which goes on the outside under the engine) and on the rubber plug that will expand up against the case. In the picture of the plug inside the cavity you will notice I welded a nut on the end of the through bolt to help hold it as it gets tighten. I also put a double nut on the bolt that sticks out under the engine. Vibration wont be a problem. My plug, which I found on Amazon,
(Dsnaduo Automotive Rubber Freeze Plug 1-3/4 inch to 1-7/8 inch Neoprene Expansion Plug 44mm -47mm,2 Pack)
has an O-ring under the bolt head on the inside, don't forget to use it. Caution: the hole the starter pokes through has a sharp edge on the outside of the case. I used some 220 grit sand paper to smooth it off. It didn't take much effort. Time well tell if I've chosen wisely. If it leaks I'll just claim it wants to grow up to be British.

Attachments

• IMG_20220331_155404442 (1).jpg
    IMG_20220331_155404442 (1).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20220331_155119095.jpg
    IMG_20220331_155119095.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20220331_154727623_2.jpg
    IMG_20220331_154727623_2.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20220331_154657279.jpg
    IMG_20220331_154657279.jpg