starter repair - questions

trance

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I've got the engine out of the frame. Before I removed it, the starter was working, but grinding and not disengaging right away.

I'm assuming that I need to take a look a the springs, and plan on pulling the cover tomorrow. couple of questions:

1) Is the correct order of operations: a) remove right hand side cover b) remove clutch c) then I can get at starter gears?

2) anything I need to be aware of or watch out for?

3) can you point me towards any how-to guides on fixing the springs? I've seen several that say you should remove the wishbone shaped spring and tighten it (but I can't figure out how to tell if it's tight enough) and also retension the other spring (but I can't figure out exactly how that's done either).

thanks in advance, sure I"ll have some more questions as I go...

Thanks guys - 5twins that's exactly the post I was searching for but couldn't find. Should be in the Tech section!

RG - will keep my eyes open for the clutch index.

anything else? I remember reading *somewhere* that there's a small plug that can fall out, but is very important for keeping oil flowing through both the engine and transmission...???

Yes, that's on the same side. The pic in the link is a little confusing because it's upside down. That particular shaft is just above and to the left of the clutch hub shaft .....

ShiftShaftPlug.jpg

This is something I never heard of before but will be checking for in the future. Wish that thread in the link wasn't in German. It would be nice to know if there's a fix.

..... and one more assembled, dot on hub showing through hole in the pressure plate .....

PressurePlateAlignment.jpg

5twins, I went to the german site and used my handy translation tool (google chrome translation). They didn't give any other useful information about the plug, just that it needs to be installed. -trance

Back