Starting issues (I can't seem to win!)

MikeC23

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I bought a new battery, installed it, and now... Bike won't start. Normally it starts with one or two kicks. This is what I'm getting now. Puffs of white smoke through my air filters. I attached a video. It happens on the first kick in it
input anyone?

I haven't measured the compression in a while. Since put it together last year. When I kick it it's loose, loose, then hard to kick

Posted via Mobile

well if it was running fine before you changed the battery out then it can surely only be something that you disturbed during that job.:wink2:

It definitely isn't trying to fire at all so you either haven't got a spark or you haven't got fuel.

You sure you didn't put the battery on the wrong polarity at any point ?
Have you checked the stop switch position?
Have you checked the fuses ?
Have you checked the plugs are wet ?
have you checked for a spark ?
have you checked fuel flow to the carbs and the fuel bowls are full ?

If you have a spark at the plugs then spray a little ether (easy start , start ya bastard) in the inlets and try that.

good luck Mike.:wink2:
sounds like it might be a really simple wiring connection/ continuity problem somewhere.

On my maiden test run I got stranded in the middle of nowhere and had to call the missus out .
Eventually I found that I had somehow managed to move the stop switch to off doh!
didn't tell the missus of course

HAHAHAHA! I'm hoping it is simple. My wife would leave me stranded and tell all of my friends so they could laugh at me.

Is that really all you've done? Did you do anything else.

When you kick through there doesn't seem to be a point at which you get compression as the piston comes to the top of the stroke. It just seems so smooth. Like there are no plugs in. Have you done the tappet/valve lash? You may be holding a valve open.

Do a quick test by pulling the plugs and sticking your thumb over each plug hole in turn while you kick it.

Failing that

1. check the last thing(s) you changed

or

1. Check for compression
2. Check for spark
3. Check for wet plugs

If you have compression, a spark and petrol it will fire. It may not run well but it will run. This isn't even trying, so one or more of those three ingredients is missing.

Dave

The video didn't show it ( i just filmed to the point of the popping sound) but if I had kicked it another time or two, I would have hit a hard compression stroke. Outside of the new battery, I DID adjust my clutch, but that wouldn't hurt anything, would it? The real bitch of it was it was running great a handful of days ago (before the new battery. I'm getting 12 v at the battery and it isn't dropping when I hit the starter.

If you set the clutch too tight, that could effect the kick starter. It works through the clutch. Pull the clutch in and the kicker disconnects from the crank and doesn't work. Same could happen if the clutch was adjusted too tight. The electric start will still work though.

Well, that should be OK then. But it sure seems to kick too easy. Compression check and valve settings would be my next move. A valve too tight could be not closing and causing compression loss.

So here's what I did today. Pulled the plugs and confirmed that I have spark. The left plug was wet. The right dry. Fully charged the battery again(just in case), pulled the exhaust. I was thinking, and correct me if I'm wrong, but if it were a stuck valve, it would most likely be on the exhaust end due to carbon buildup. I took a small brass brush and cleaned the exhaust valves through the exhaust ports while running a shop vac to keep the shit from getting in the motor. Tomorrow I am off work so I can try a bunch of stuff. I'm going to check my valve clearance. I'd .002 on the intake and .004 on the exhaust OK? Oh! I also flipped the plug wires make sure it isn't 180 out

.003" In and .006" Ex is the usual. If when checking them, you find one with a real lot of clearance, it might be stuck open.

Back