Sticky back brake

rainycity

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I went out for a putt yesterday and for some reason my back brake was really sticking.
I actually had to get off the bike and pull it back by the rod.
Must be time for new brakes anyways.
So I guess this weekend I`ll be yanking it apart and put in all new.

Decided to take the bike out for a putt yesterday and noticed it didnt have much get up and go and then realized when I pulled the clutch in it just slowed down like the brake was being applied then it dawned on me that the rear brake all the sudden started sticking to the point I had to get off the bike, grab the brake rod and pull it back.
Time to take it apart and replace everything I guess.

Yes, it's time for a rear brake plate service. I should probably mention the proper grease. You want something really thick with a high melting point. 3M from Vintage Brakes recommends Sta-Lube Premium Red Grease. As luck would have it, HF sells the stuff in a grease gun tube .....

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-oz-sta-plex-extreme-pressure-premium-red-grease-40710.html

You can also get it in a tub at some auto parts stores, but you may have to do some searching. I found it at a NAPA store but they had to order it in from their warehouse for me. I bought the last two tubs they had .....

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d....oap?ck=Search_N0415_-1_-1&pt=N0415&ppt=C0139

Moist often a sticky rear drum brake is the pivot shaft in the brake plate. You need to pull the rear wheel. Pull the brake plate out of the wheel. Pull the shoes off the plate. The pivot shaft should spin without much resistance. If not pull the lever off the shaft on the out side of the plate. remove the shaft from the plate. Note the order and location of any spacers. Clean the shaft and the hole. Apply a thin layer of grease in the hole and on the shaft.
In the hole on the out side is a felt washer. Carefully remove it. Clean the old grease out of it. Put fresh grease on it. This helps keep the shaft lubed as well as keep water out.
Reinstall all the parts in the order you found them. The shaft should now freely spin I the hole.
Leo

What they said, then; some years have a cam plate to operate the brake lining warning switch installed on the pivot shaft. This cam was installed even after they stopped using the switch! The cam plate can easily be installed facing the wrong way, The recess in the center of the cam plate faces towards the wheel. If installed backwards it pushes the brake shoes in too close to the wheel. and causes them to bind.

The guy I got the bike told me the back brake has never been removed so I`m pretty sure
it`s getting a little thin. This weekend if I dont get called in to work, I need to get under the house and replace a kitchen pipe and after I get done with that I`m going to pull it apart and get some new pads.

Back