Stinking Badges part II

Angus,

The "cold cast" option was one I looked at early on. My main objective was to get as shiny a surface as possible and the aluminum samples I'd seen at the art supply store looked more like pewter, even when polished.

Having said that though, let me know how it works out for your dash cluster. Maybe the store didn't have a high enough ratio of aluminum powder in their samples. I'd still be leery about putting it up against a buffing wheel though since the main ingredient is resin.

you looked more into it than I have. I just didn't know. got body work to do, then the finer details will be looked into. (slitely pushed in tail lite)

Hi Resto
I'm using a triumph tank from a 1970 500 without the raised centre seam on my bobber, have you moulded your badges to fit an xs tank ? or will they fit mine?
Thanks

Robsan,

Post a pic of your tank. All the 1907 one's I've seen had the seam. I belong to the local antique motorcycle club out here and I think some of the members have a Triumph or two of that vintage. We meet at the end of every month and I can take some badges along to check the "fit" against their tanks.

I doubt the Special ones I am (in the process) making would fit, the shape is too different, but the Standard one's may be close. The nice thing about the blanks are that they all quite flexible when heated with a heat gun and then cooled while pressed against a tank. All this has to be done before paint and foil are applied however. If you want to work with some blanks, I can supply them.

From looking on eBay, the Triumph badges I cut up are supposed to fit from '69 to '79. I may consider selling the reworked originals which should just bolt to your tank. You'd have to paint the brass insert to whatever color you want and re-drill the screw holes I filled in.

full

Post a pic and we'll take it from there.

Over on RCUniverse, there is a poster that goes by 'Metal Morphous', or something like that. He completely aluminum plated a P-38 Model with his plating process. Claims he can plate a styrafoam cup with his process. If I remember correctly he has a business and does small piece work at reasonable costs.

The actual Triumph badges I cut up would screw directly on to your tank. The benefit would be that they are made of pot metal and have real chrome on them (except for the insert which is brass and the letters aluminum).
If you wanted resin ones, I would have to beg/borrow a tank like yours to mold the badges against.

resto

Back