Stinking Badges part II

resto

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Was warm enough in the garage this past weekend to cast some resin badge blanks. Did the ones for the Special tank first, but next week will run a batch for the Standard tank.

full

full

They will eventually be put up for sale after I fix them up (some air bubbles and rough edges), paint, and skin them with foil. If anyone wants to have their own way with them and would like just the blanks, let me know. I'm thinking around $15 (plus shipping) for a pair. Haven't decided on a completed price yet, will have to see how much labor has to go into them.

resto

Well, since I can't chrome the plastic (not economically anyways), I've experimented with ways to make the parts that are supposed to shiny.........shiny. Over the winter, tried using thin gauge aluminum (too hard to shape smoothly), plastic "chrome" film (doesn''t like curves), and various chrome paints which are basically silver, not chrome.
Decided to go with a very thin double sided tape that can stretch over the curves, then apply a thick foil which can be "worked" over those curves. Basically stretching the foil a bit as I cover the surface. "Tedious" only begins to describe it, but not bad looking from a couple of feet away.

That WOULD be tedious! I had to ask because I've always been curious about feasable 'homeshop' techniques to apply shiny chrome to plastic compound curves. A friend of mine had a cottage business years ago making those 'cycle sound' radio packages for Vetter fairings, and he had a machine that would take 4" chrome foil off a roller, preheat it, then squeeze/press apply it on the plastic speaker grills. After applying, would just peel it off and the 'shiny' chrome covering would remain on the grill. It all looked so easy, haven't seen anything like that since...

hobby shops(model cars) have very thin sheets of foil.
Takes practice to not tear it, but looks just shy of polished alum.

hobby shops(model cars) have very thin sheets of foil.
Takes practice to not tear it, but looks just shy of polished alum.

Did that very thing on my first set of badges last year. Even though it is very thin, it still didn't like compound curves very much. And yes, it could have been shinier. Another downside was that it wrinkled a tiny bit after time and wasn't all that scuff resistant.

Scanned the hot rod forums a lot to see what they were doing and that is why I stayed away from the home plating chemicals. They took a lot of practice to get it right and even then were quite fragile. Some discolored when clear coat was applied. That was one of the criteria I wanted for the badges, it had to be able to be clear coated in order to be gasoline resistant. Nice thing about the thicker foil is that it can be polished to a high shine then cleared or waxed.

Here's a pic of one of my foil tests (ignore the unfinished ends and bottom section).

foil test.jpg

I'll post more pics as the badges progress. Haven't decided a price yet, but will be happy to recover my costs for materials and make a few extra sets.

But, if you just want the blanks, I can get those out quickly.

Was hoping to do this project as cheaply as possible. I don't think they are enough XS650's out there to ramp up production. Plus, style is a personal thing. These badges may not be everyone's cup of tea. The reason I made any was more of a personal challenge than anything else. The fact that I think Triumphs are fantastic looking bikes also factored into it.

I love nostalgia/restro/period/vintage emblems, especially period Triumph.
Will we ever see the return of classic hood ornaments (even the lighted ones?)

Did that very thing on my first set of badges last year. Even though it is very thin, it still didn't like compound curves very much. And yes, it could have been shinier. Another downside was that it wrinkled a tiny bit after time and wasn't all that scuff resistant.

Scanned the hot rod forums a lot to see what they were doing and that is why I stayed away from the home plating chemicals. They took a lot of practice to get it right and even then were quite fragile. Some discolored when clear coat was applied. That was one of the criteria I wanted for the badges, it had to be able to be clear coated in order to be gasoline resistant. Nice thing about the thicker foil is that it can be polished to a high shine then cleared or waxed.

Here's a pic of one of my foil tests (ignore the unfinished ends and bottom section).

View attachment 29529
You could try cold cast aluminum. I was mentioning my 67 fairlanes dash cluster which has a chromed plastic surround with is faded to my wife who is a sculpter, and although she hasn't used it herself, she has cast many things with plaster and silicone, So making a mold is a non-issue. so we are going to try that, and she says it can be polished. Its a mix of aluminum powder in resin.

Back