Tach drive oil seal replacement??

In theory yes, in practice no. There is a washer (#9) at the bottom of the shaft (#8) that usually falls off when shaft is removed. If you can remove the
housing (#1) without raising the shaft it could be done. Your safest bet is to bite the bullet and remove the cover.
upload_2021-6-30_20-24-26.png

Can this be done with engine cover in place. Thx
Murphy's Law section 37:3 subsection 12- When the primary cover of an XS650 is removed, a new gasket installed, filled with fresh oil, and reinstalled any further issues relating to re-removal of the primary cover will only become apparent upon completion of initial repair. Thus requiring the immediate re-removal of said primary cover and disposal of new gasket requiring purchase of now out of stock gasket. Draining of oil into previously soiled container will be eminent requiring purchase more oil. Any parts needed to complete said repair will inevitably be out of stock.:banghead:
The_More_You_Know_0-0_screenshot.jpg

Many have done it. Just keep pressure down on the shaft when anything is coming upward. Take it seriously like you were defusing something and you can do it. If the cable seems bound in, try turning it opposite the direction of rotation and it'll likely click free

Make sure it's the red heat-resistant o-ring. Mikes has them i think. I did mine in an emergency on the road, surprising amount of oil coming from that. first used a normal o-ring from o-riliey's, then when circumstances permitted replaced it with proper red one.

All from the outside. And yes, next time I had the cover off after that, I definitely checked to see if it (the washer) was there, and it was

Last edited:
Bike is asleep for the winter on the lift. Noticed the bottom right side of the engine case was damp with oil. Looks like I need to replace the tach drive oring. Is this a dealer only piece or are the aftermarket ones ok? Would it be included in a complete gasket set?

Update, checked for an oil leak and looked like the tach drive for sure. Carefully pulled it apart leaving the drive shaft in place. The inner threaded piece #4 was stuck in the housing #1. Managed to get it apart, will post pics later. The shaft seal was in pretty bad shape. Will order from the dealer this week.

Is the position of the red o-ring in your pics as you found it or did you move it there? I ask because that's not the correct position. It should be in the lower groove. Maybe that's why it was leaking? .....

FFZ2Lf1.jpg

Is the position of the red o-ring in your pics as you found it or did you move it there? I ask because that's not the correct position. It should be in the lower groove. Maybe that's why it was leaking? .....

FFZ2Lf1.jpg
Thanks 5T! That’s where I found it. I’ll replace it into the correct position. The black inner seal was messed up too. Pretty sure replacement of these two bits will address the oil leak. Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.

Back