TC Bros Hardtail axle spacing

bobber bill

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
For those with TC Bros Hardtails:

I've got a huge gap on my rear axle on the right side between the drum brake side spacer and the axle plate. There's already a spacer on that side, so it seems really odd to me that i would need another 1/2 - 3/4 inch spacer there. There isnt any axle spacer on the left at all. Is this normal for these TC Bros hardtails ? Thanks

- space for the chain-line, then check wheel alignment for possible offset

What is the distance between the insides of the axle plates? That will tell us if the hardtail is too wide or if you're missing a spacer.

not to high jack the thread but i have a disc set up and i thought the hardtail was too big, but when i measured the swing arm it was the same distance. so i guess i was missing a spacer cause i put one washer on the brake side and if fit perfect. anyone have this set up and have this issue? been worrying about it ever since.

You should have a spacer on the left also, sure your not missing a piece ?

well i do have somewhat of a spacer. its a bearing shield/spacer on the rotating side of the drum assembly. ill get some numbers and pictures up tonight. thanks

oh and im running a pre-74 rear wheel setup with a 74+ axle. its my understanding that the pre-74 bikes were narrower in the back so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm certain that you have to use extra spacers or washers. I had to add 5 washers. You should have gotten directions with your hardtail.

well here are some pictures and numbers:

how the bike looks and lines up:

DSC_1534.jpg

the oem spacers:

DSC_1525.jpg

almost 12mm of extra space on the axle with spacers in place:

DSC_1528.jpg

exactly 8.5 inches between the axle plates:

DSC_1514.jpg

so im just supposed to stack a buncha washers to fill that rear axle gap? ideally machine just one huge spacer to replace the oem one as well right...

the rear wheel centers up to the backbone/downtube when its pushed all the way to the left axle plate with the oem spacer in place, leaving the 12mm gap on the other end.

Yeah, I think they make the frame that way to accept the caliper mount if you have rear disc. You will need to machine something up. No big deal. Just make sure you have your chain straight and leave room for chain adjusters.

That spacer on the right looks funny to me. You need the spacer that looks like this. I guess the earlier models had a narrower swingarm and a different spacer???

Attachments

• MVC-008S_094.JPG
    MVC-008S_094.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 313
That spacer on the right looks funny to me. You need the spacer that looks like this. I guess the earlier models had a narrower swingarm and a different spacer???

that looks more like what i should have! hey if you happen to have a ruler or set of calipers handy, could you measure the width/thickness of that spacer ? thanks

I have 2- 3/4" washers installed on my axle, its a snug fit. Mine is also 8.5" wide.

But like mentioned above, your spacer on the right looks way too skinny.

I will measure my spacer tonight on my bike for you, but I know its def. wider than yours... I have an 80.

well my axle gap is 26mm so one of those and a 3/4" washer should do the trick. now if i could only find someone with a spare one....

I measured two that were on bikes and they were 24.7-24.8 mm as best as I could measure. If you find the right spacer, don't worry about the extra 1.2-1.3mm that you have. Just tighten the axle and you'll be fine.

I have both a drum brake and a disc brake swingarm. Both measure 8 1/4 inches between the axle plates. If your Hard tail measures 8 1/2 inches, I think thats ok. The extra space makes getting the wheel in and out easier.
I would use the stock spacers on both sides and tighten the axle nut down. Then check for proper chain alignment. And that the axle is clamping everthing tight.If so run it.
If something don't fit or align right then try adding washers or swapping spacers.

directly from the tcbros instructions .. if this helps

3. Model year 1975 and later axles are too long to use without shims. We recommend you use
standard ¾” washers. This is because while we offer the thickest axle plates of any kits
available, they are thinner than the two layer welded plates Yamaha used. Rest assured, the
inside dimension is correct. The stock chain adjusters must be shimmed for the same reason.
Some earlier models (1970-1974) the axles are too short. If your stock swingarm was 8” wide
inside the axle plates you will need a longer axle and will probably have to shim your spacers to
get your chain lined up with your stock wheel. Luckily, axles can readily be found on eBay.

Pictures can be deceiving but is that hard tail straight to the frame center line? It kinda looks like it angles to the right.

Back