Tc bros rear tire size?

William

Cant Get Enough
Reaction score
Hey again... I got my hardtail in a few days ago and plan on starting the conversion monday. I need to order a rear tire! I have a stock 18 inch 650 spoke in the rear and like the vintage look with the black sidewall. Tc bros says ant stock rear wheel will work and recommend the 130/90/16 because of tire availibilty. Since im going with the 18 what size and manufactuer do you guys recomend? I like the rear on one of the fong bros bikes but the say its a Firestone 4.5. Tc bros say a 140 could rub on the chain. Just dont want to order the wrong freakin size! Money is going fast!!!

So are you using the stock hub and changing to the 18" or what? From what I understand you can get away with running the 140, but anything bigger and you need a jackshaft or an offset sprocket

Posted via Mobile

The firestone tire is actually pretty slim. It doesn't look like a 4.5 inflated and is not even close to the chain. I ran a 150/16 Maxxis on one of my bikes and it just barely touched the chain. Actually, it was microsopically close and would touch when it bounced or flexed.

i put on avon safety 4x18 on the rear with a tc brothers hardtail

roller.jpg

So are you using the stock hub and changing to the 18" or what? From what I understand you can get away with running the 140, but anything bigger and you need a jackshaft or an offset sprocket

Posted via Mobile

How does the offset sprocket work? How much do you gain? Is it reliable?

How does the offset sprocket work? How much do you gain? Is it reliable?

You can get a complete kits for the XS650 from "Gary Poh" I am waiting for mine to come half way around the world. Google his name and you will get a heap of links to bike running his kit to look at. You can buy complete kit from his website or his bay store or just the sprocket alone.

I have a booklet from Dunlop. I scaned the size charts from the booklet. This might help you figure the metric to inch sizes.

Attachments

• scan0006 (538x640).jpg
    scan0006 (538x640).jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 329
Sorry mate don't get it……………..necropost?

I had to look it up too..

Urban Dictionary: Necropost:
To post in a thread that has been "dead", by being inactive for a relatively long period.

Basically, the thread is kind of old so the people asking the questions may no longer be interested in the answers. Doesn't mean others who come along won't find the new answers worthwhile. :shrug: Carl, hasn't even logged in since 08-31-2010. Maybe this thread coming back alive will get him back.

I'm new !
I'm smiling about a 140tire with the TC Bro hard tail

I've been hearing only a 130would work, but now "H"mmmmmm ? I'm perked on it again.

Thanks eh !

On a hardtail frame I think a wider tire will fit between the frame rails. The problem maybe that the chain will rub on the tire. I had a 140 on a stock swingarm. It rubbed the chain but not to much.
From the pics I've seen of various hardtails it looks like a tire up to 180 might fit the frame, You would have to offset the sprockets or use a jack shaft to get the chain over far enough for clearance.

Hooligans, If you check the chart a 4.50 is only a 120 wide tire. Your second pic shows what I mean. You have lots of space between the tire and frame rails. If you offset the sprockets so you had a 1/4 inch clearance on the frame you could put a wider tire on. If thats a stock 18 inch rear wheel then you couldn't go wider on that wheel.
The stock 18 inch rim was 2.15 inch wide, so the 4.50/120 is about as wide as you should go on that rim.
On the 16 spoke wheel the rim was 2.75, mags 3.00 inches wide. On them A 130 or 140 is about max.
A 150 needs a 4 to 4.5 rim. A 180 needs a 5 to 5.5 inch rim.
If you had a 5 inch rimmed wheel you can run up to a 180 without to much trouble.
Tires work best if the rim width is the same as the tire width. They can work fine on a rim up to 2 to 2.5 inches either way of that. Much more than that is outside what the sidewalls are designed to flex.

I had to look it up too..

Urban Dictionary: Necropost:
To post in a thread that has been "dead", by being inactive for a relatively long period.

Basically, the thread is kind of old so the people asking the questions may no longer be interested in the answers. Doesn't mean others who come along won't find the new answers worthwhile. :shrug: Carl, hasn't even logged in since 08-31-2010. Maybe this thread coming back alive will get him back.

I'm back... :thumbsup:

Last fall I was deciding between an old street bike or a dirt bike. So now I have an '03 CRF450R. It's fun.

The idea I had for an XS was to find a donor modern sport bike for it's upside-down forks, big brakes and 17" wheels. Not having significant machine skills or facilities, this seemed a bit much though. Maybe this fall I'll have the scratch for an XS.

Back