That Wrrrr Noise....

Bob Kelly III

Ranch Kid from way back,.... that got Old !
Reaction score
Once again, that Loud Wrrr noise of my bike is getting to me... I can't figure it out !
I chocked it up to "Square gears on the clutch" and left it the way it was....
it's still as noisy as it was... and after thinking about it I've been wondering if the can chain could be the cause of all this noise ?
.... it very well could be the sound of the cam chain being drug over a metal surface as I have hurd chains make that sort of noise before...
when I had the head off and cylinders off to look for problems I found Nothing amiss...cam chain guides look fine both front and back and the cam chain tensioner seams fine as well, and funtions fine
..... so I found absoultly No reason for my machine to make such a noise.... but it IS !
sense I've put the bike back together and discovered the sound was still there ( to my disappointment)
I've put about 70 miles or so on it.... the power is good and everything seams fine except that god awful Loud Wrrrrrr sound that changes with throttle.
at last check the oil looks pristine and fresh no metal flakes in it that I can see on the dip stick, but I know I should drain the oil for a better look at it ! ....
the reason it bugs me is I have heard many other XS650's now and none of them sound like this thing
it almosts drowns out the exhaust at idle the Wrrrrr is so loud and I don't hear other XS650's making any of that noise....
I've never made a video on my phone but I can try to get one so you can hear it and see if you think it needs investigating or not.
maybe it's fine and maybe it's not and it worries me ....
this bike has always made this noise .... but I do not hear that noise on other videos
hence the Rub.
.... any idea of what it might be ?
....your help is appreciated !
Bob.........

One of my bikes wrrrrr when the clutch isnt tight enuf, i. e, starts grabbing with little release of the clutch lever

Well, I got a video of that Wrrr sound and it captured the sound great, but almost completely muted the exhaust note....can't even hear the Thump,thump of the cylinders firing ! but the Wrrrrr is there real good maybe a bit exaggerated but not very much... the problem is I can't find the darn MP4 file on my stupid phone... found the place it should be in but the stupid computer doesn't show any files there... and I have it set on ALL FILE TYPES too .... very weird.... I'll get my kid to help dear o'l dad and then post it !
LOL
thanks Angus ! .... the clutch seams to be working great and the Wrrr sound is there with the clutch in or out ...no change
I think gggGary tried to convince me it was just the way these XS650's sound.... so posting the video ( if I can ever find it ) is about the only way
to convey the problem ! LOL
....stay tuned for the continueing saga of the Wrrrrr Noise !!!!!
:laughing:
....Bob..........

Ok, I've a whine in 5th gear, thought it was the chain, so I've changed out chain & sprockets, no change. 2M is the ducks nuts on this, this is what I've been reading.....I've no noise in 2nd, just top gear when on the gas, back it off it goes away. Oil changes reveals nothing, I do mine every 1000 miles.
My plan, get a new OEM 5th gear & 2nd gear, replace to shut the bitch up....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/clattering-sound-in-5th-gear.41783/page-2

http://www.xs650.com/threads/overdrive-5th-gear-dropping-slipping-out-to-neutral.41539/

http://www.xs650.com/threads/grinding-scraping-noise-in-5th-gear.42928/page-2

Mick

2M ....I used to have a Mechanics stethoscope... but havn't seen it in years !
should be in the top drawer of my bottom box ! ... LOL....
ok .... My Kid found the Video for me.... and I'll post it...the problem is that my phone doesn't reproduce the sound exactly like I am hearing
which causes problems.... the low sounds are almost eliminated while the high sounds are amplified to some extent.
So How the heck do I post a MP4 video ?
.....aurgh !!!!

Two ways Bob, try the box that stares at you every time you post, "upload an image or file" tap / click and find the file.

If it's too big (the file that is) you can upload to YouTube and create a link using the URL....

Hope that doesn't find its way into the top draw of your bottom box :laughing:

2M ....I used to have a Mechanics stethoscope... but havn't seen it in years !
should be in the top drawer of my bottom box ! ... LOL....
ok .... My Kid found the Video for me.... and I'll post it...the problem is that my phone doesn't reproduce the sound exactly like I am hearing
which causes problems.... the low sounds are almost eliminated while the high sounds are amplified to some extent.
So How the heck do I post a MP4 video ?
.....aurgh !!!!
I've tried to post an MP4 vid, Bob, and it has to be very small (short) to get uploaded. The suggestion by others is to start a free account at UTube and post it there, then paste it into here.
I'm interested in what you hear thru your stethoscope, when you find it. I've been using an actual doctor's steth for years, then got a "real" one at HF for 4 bucks or something, and it works great.

Hi Bob I have a whine in my 76 XS but i know its the G/box. I stupidly changed one gear but should of changed the set. My thoughts on your noise is Primary gear meshing (no lash) or a bearing. The stethoscope is a briliant tool, use one at work a lot. these kind of noises are multiples of engine rotations where there are multiple passes per rotation. Try a very long screwdriver pushed hard against the ear if u cant get a scope.

Hay Dude !
Well I already Know what I'ed hear, as I put a 1/2" galvanized pipe to the side of the engine and the other end to my ear .... LIKE WOW
it's Noisy as hell ! LOL
Ok I tried the upload an image or file, selected the file on my desktop (it's fairly short) but there's no button that pops up to OK it
like the standard picture.....
I went to YouTube and couldn't make heads or tails from that mess there was a button to upload but I didn't poke it because I probably couldn't find it if I did ! LOL
Mick.... a great idea to keep all the Bad Sound threads in one place.... How do I move this thread to that one ? er um UH ? Forgive me I am SLOW tonight.... slow on the uptake and slow understanding anything... been working on an air compressor and My mind ain't shifting gears back to compute-eeze very well ! LOL
Bob...

Jonesey... I think your Spot on with your Whine diagnoses ( no Lash ) it sounds just like that but How do you separate the crank from the clutch gear to stop that racket ?
the only thing I can think of is replace the parts or live with it ! and if that's the case I'll do the latter ! LOL
....Bob......

Last edited:
hummm it may well be that my video is too large because i didn't select the image size and it's full screen so I'll re take the video after I select the image size and then the button might appear so I can just up load it here....
I'll do that tomorrow ! in the daylight ! kind'a dark for that right now at 4:48 am ! LOL
....checking the MP4 video and its 44.3m in size , 1280x720 in size ...
duration 30 sec.
Bob.......

Last edited:
Once again, that Loud Wrrr noise of my bike is getting to me...
.... any idea of what it might be ?
....your help is appreciated !
Bob.........

Bob how big is the video in Mb ? if you click on the video file with your right mouse button it will give you a list including 'PROPERTIES' click on that with the left mouse button and it will tell you . If you copy and paste that into a post for us to see.

If you can't sort out a youtube account then you could email it to me and I'll host it on my youtube page and give you the link and also embed the video in this thread for you

Thanks Peanut .... above in my last post is the size ... I can't get the forum to let me post it.... I'm just dumb ! LOL
Bob.

Humm it says a max of 14MB.... my video is 44 mb so that won't fit.... I finally discovered that after I selected the video to upload it was uploading it ....but really slowly...only thing to indicate it was a thing in the bottom left of the screen I had previously not seen.
..... I'll take a short one to see if I can make it fit ....LOL this is more trouble than it's worth but ya gott'a hear it to believe it !
HEHEHEHEH !
Back in a bit.
Bob........

ok lets try this ( upside down ? I was right side up when I took it ! ) lol
GOOOOOOFIE !
ANYWAY ... this is 13.7mb so it should go !
Nope won't go ...guess I gott'a convert the MP4 to a Jpeg er something.... I don't think any of those file types are movies though ..... I don't think I can directly upload a Movie here.....
what is your Email address Peanut ? LOL
I'll take you up on it !

Bob......

Mick.... a great idea to keep all the Bad Sound threads in one place.... How do I move this thread to that one ? er um UH ? Forgive me I am SLOW tonight.... slow on the uptake and slow understanding anything... been working on an air compressor and My mind ain't shifting gears back to compute-eeze very well ! LOL

Just make a note here that we are moving the discussion over to the below thread and posts. This has become interesting as there is now a new post from 2 years ago......

http://www.xs650.com/threads/grinding-scraping-noise-in-5th-gear.42928/

Mick

Mick I am not sure why you are moving this thread to combine with another thread that has a different topic and which never even got resolved .???

i don't see any connection between the two threads other than an undiagnosed noise in the crankcase :rolleyes:

There is nothing yet to suggest that Bobs issue with his engine is in anyway related to the issue that the poster had with his 5th gear on the other thread .

In fact the way I read Bobs thread is that the noise happens with the gearbox in neutral ! whereas the other post was specifically a noise in 5th gear

I think moving this thread and joining with another is going to cause all sorts of issues and confusion not least of which is Bob trying to keep track of where his thread is.

Back