That Wrrrr Noise....

#5 in this thread...Peanut

ahh ..............so basically you've hyjacked Bobs thread to yak about your own unrelated problem with your 5th gear and now you are suggesting Bobs thread gets moved so that it gets linked with other engine noise issues that you find interesting ...

Bob what happens if you run the engine on idle and then pull the clutch in.? is there any perceptible change in the tone or volume of the sound ?
Same again what happens if you have the clutch pulled in and then release it. ?

If you use a screwdriver to your ear and check around you should at least be able to pinpoint which side of the crankcase the rubbing noise is loudest and at least eliminate the engine or the crankcase to nasrrow down the possibilities.
The noise sounds more like a rubbing/ grinding noise than a knocking noise to me .

At the very least you need to drain the oil and remove the clutch cover and start her up and run her for a few seconds to see if you can locate the source of the noise

ahh ..............so basically you've hyjacked Bobs thread to yak about your own unrelated problem with your 5th gear and now you are suggesting Bobs thread gets moved so that it gets linked with other engine noise issues that you find interesting ...

Negative, I don't "Yak" and find that offensive, this is not your first go at me, so back off! I come here to help and participate in the forum with good intentions. The issue is similar to Bob's and you can see by joining the threads as we have done others will be able to see / find help for their issues related to this.
I call a spade a spade, you need to have a look, a real good look at the intent in your posts Peanut...

Bob, I had a listen to a gearbox on a 1969 T120 Triumph today that was in the shop, that bike has a similar noise as your bike does, it's bearing related, still it's a different bike but has a very similar noise.

Mick

Negative, I don't "Yak" and find that offensive, this is not your first go at me, so back off!

Mick

wind ya neck in Mick I'm not having a go at you.
You suggested moving Bobs thread and I gave my opinion is all. Bob has said he doesn't want his thread moved so unless its posted in the wrong forum thats the end of it as far as I am concerned.

yak is just slang in the UK for chat, jaw, shooting the breeze or general chatter and it means the same in Oz as it does in Britain ...theres nothing offensive there Mick unless you want to make it so.

Now about you hyjacking Bobs thread to discuss your own engine noise issues ........:) (joke )

Last edited:
Relax guys ! all is cool.... no harm done .... leave it at that Please....
Peanut ....when Idling and I pull in the clutch I don't think there is any increase in the noise or any change at all....
same with releasing the clutch....
I will do it again today just to be positive.... as it's been a few days but I'm fairly certain there is no change in the Wrrrrr sound
I've also leaned the bike way over from side to side and heard no change in sound..... and no gas dripping either !!!!!!
..... I think like 2M alluded to its just Normal.....
I got to thinking it may well be that my exhaust is so quiet..... they are stock mufflers with 1/2" holes drilled in the back of the exhaust pipes
to add a bit of release of the back pressure.... before I did that it was very quiet but Now I can hear the "thump,thump of the pistons firing every time.... but it's Not LOUD at all ...still quite subdued in fact .....
Listening to 2M's bike run is like listening to Poetry ! that is one Good sounding machine !
I may pull the side plate this winter, and see if I can find anything amiss under the clutch this time .
Right now I think I'll take her out for a Ride and see if I fixed that Miss i had on my last ride.....( about a month ago)
( I'm starting to feel like a fish out'a water.... No bike riding under my belt! LOL )
Bob.......

Mick ! it may well be bearing related INDEED ... as it sounds like the constant turning of bearings ... which they should be turning in there ! DUH
and i find it odd that one bike like 2M's would nave no bearing sound and then another would.....
it doesn't necessarily mean the bearings are bad.... just not as smooth as 2M's bearings I guess....
when I busted the Cage on the main bearing on my 1968 W1-650 Kawasaki ( BSA copy kawasaki made) you could hear it going tick, tick ,tick, tick. at idle and it changed with RPM but other than that it ran fine.... at least I think it was a busted cage, I don't really know as I never got into the bottom end on that machine. but I put on about 200 miles after that and it was still going when I sold it.
( that was my one and only wreck involving another vehicle ! he turned in front of me ! as I was passing. )
anyway sense the XS650 is all roller bearing throughout the engine..... and a super Robust design at that... I am confident that it will run like this for decades..... the noise is just annoying is all.
Bob.........

After 3 pages, getting advice on a problem, without any work to determine what the problem is, your now not worried about it and it will last for years...........She'llberight.................:thumbsup:.:)

Yep, that's about the size of it ! how astute of you !
..... now quit trying to put me down, to raise yourself up... and leave me alone as You have already suggested we do.....Skull !
Bob.....

Maybe there is more than one problem causing these noise/noises since sometimes the sound has 3 r's, sometimes 4 r's and at other times the sound has 5 r's.

What do you think Skull?

Scott

What does it sound like if you turn the idle down?
Two things I thought when I listened.
It is running at 1700 -2000 rpm AND that does not sound good.

Maybe there is more than one problem causing these noise/noises since sometimes the sound has 3 r's, sometimes 4 r's and at other times the sound has 5 r's.

What do you think Skull?

Scott

:laugh:

a 10 second video doesn't give anyone a chance to make a decision on where it comes from...........Not putting you down Bob, you have made the decision not to take the side-cover off and check out the clutch......and the decision it isn't a bearing.........

I will take the side plate off and disassemble the entire engine If i think it warrants it ... but from what I hear here on the site it sounds like it's normal.... although 2M's machine sure don't have that sound...but it seams most xs650s have some of it... not near as pronounced as my xs650 though .
sorry a 10 second video is all google will allow 14mgs per upload and the video is 13.7mgs.....
just take that 10 seconds and multiply it as many times as you like because it all sounds the same.... at higher RPM it just changes to a higher pitch....in step with the RPM's.....and the exhaust gets louder !.
right now I am re doing my stock fuse box albeit the poor mans way ! LOL......
Bob..........

Tick tick is normal. Even some tick tick clack clack tick. But wrrrrrr isn't normal. :) I wouldn't immediately worry toooooo much about it unless the crank was bent, which was causing my wrrrrr sound and prompted this:
rebuild.jpg

Tick tick is normal. Even some tick tick clack clack tick. But wrrrrrr isn't normal. :) I wouldn't immediately worry toooooo much about it unless the crank was bent, which was causing my wrrrrr sound and prompted this:
View attachment 105022

1001 ways to use a Pallet :laugh2:

yeah I have to say Bob.... if you ask for advice about an unusual noise in your engine and you then don't bother to a single one of the tests or checks suggested .........what was the point of this thread and all the helpful input from everyone?

You haven't even recorded the difference between the engine and the crankcase (clutch side) which might narrow it down a bit for us . :)

Easy to be blasé about noises...........there was a guy on here recently who had wrrrrrrrring or it could have been wrrring, (can't remember if it was 3 or 8), noises and asked for our advice. he said he wasn't to worried and keep riding as he wanted to do a 277 rephase in the near future................. bearing went and caused the bearing seats on the cases to chip..........Went from a crank rebuild to a new/secondhand crank and engine cases..........

Some times an ounce of prevention prevents a ton of cure............

Last edited:
A slight rephrase of XJWMX's crank problem the "typical" XS crank issue is not that crank is "bent". It's a built up pressed together crank. 40 years on, some of the press together joints will move. this can result in a "Scissors" so the pins instead of being aligned like I are more V this puts side loads on the bearings and they whirrr in protest. The number of R's is a precise gauge of how badly the pins have moved. I returned home about 10 miles on the resto-mod when it started whirring. There's video of the results. (I shouldn't have continued) I haven't opened that motor, replaced it. It's not a random event that Hugh's crank welding is so popular. I'm kinda sure there was an issue with the composite flywheel plugs in the early 447 motors 74-75? they can "walk out" and begin rubbing on the crankcase creating a wherrrr noise. This is easily distinguished from a whirrrr by the spelling.

A I'm kinda sure there was an issue with the composite flywheel plugs in the early 447 motors 74-75? they can "walk out" and begin rubbing on the crankcase creating a wherrrr noise. This is easily distinguished from a whirrrr by the spelling.

I can't tell me whirrs from me wherrrs or ooooers.................I'm dilsexlic.... dizlicksic.......... dislicksit ....whatever :).

That very interesting info gggG .
The crank possibility hadn't even occurred to me. I was thinking more the back of the clutch basket rubbing on the crankcase etc .

Last edited:
OK guys You want me to put the mechanics stethoscope to the engine while it's idling.... for what purpose ? to hear the noise ? I don't need the stethoscope for that to tell where it's loudest ? it's loudest on the top bolt just behind the cylinder on the Right side....edited ,sorry right side , clutch side .
I didn't jump right out there and do that because I've already done that a while back .... the only thing it tells me is it's noise from the RIGHT side
either the clutch or the crank bearing...... sense I'm not willing to tear it down right now because it's still summer and it does run.
...... I wanted advice on what you think it might be that is the cause of the noise that's all ..... not a debate of weather i am willing to follow your advice or not ! geez
Bob........

Last edited:
Back