The Best Things you can do for your XS

donmillerx

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere before.

I'm sure I'll get all different opinions on this but I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts.
Maybe we could do a top ten list or something.

What are the best upgrades for your XS?
Obviously it would depend on the year, current condition etc, but assuming you've got a good runner and just want better performance and want to make it last forever, what are the best things you can do for your old bike.

So, In no particular order...
What things would be on your list?

Aftermarket carbs & manifolds, an electronic ignition & better coil, new fuses & magnet alternator, a new sump filter, fuel filter, tank kreem, ss brake lines, a new chain, gaskets, copper washers...

Okay so maybe 10 things wouldn't even scratch the surface but what things do you think are most important for these 30yr-old 650's?

A hardtail, solo seat, small tank, and new bars! ok just kiddin!!!

im not sure what i would do but i am very interested to see what everyone else says! especially the XS Guru's of the site! Good thread topic! thanks for posting.

new piston.
onefeduppiston-vi.jpg

Tapered roller steering bearings
Bronze swing arm bushings.
Thoroughly cleaned, synched, and properly jetted carbs.
Real working air cleaners.
Fork seals that do.
clean shiny electrical connections.
Frequent riding.

Good list Gary. I might add Pamcopete's Kill switch relay, the Chrysler regulator and Radio Shack rectifier upgrades and his ignition.
Pete has also been testing hot coils and high dollar plugs. A hot coil and the Iridium plugs have tested to give a better fuel burn. a 21% increase in fuel milage over stock coil and plug.

A hot coil and the Iridium plugs have tested to give a better fuel burn. a 21% increase in fuel mileage over stock coil and plug.
Cool if true. What was the methodology for the comparison test?

...to start with -

- tapered roller bearings in steering head
- needle roller bearings in box-section alu swingarm
- decent rear shocks
- racetec cartridges in the front suspension
- cartridge oil filter
- permanent magnet alternator
- 5th gear overdrive
- high ratio primary gears
- 270° rephase
- 750 kit

...and then -

1976-on (?) linked carbs. Force a plastic tire valve cap over the idle speed adjusting screw so the idle can be adjusted on the go. Up it when cold so the engine won't stall. Slow it down when the engine is hot so it is pleasent to ride. Up the idle at night with the lights on riding through the city, to keep the battery up. The cheapest, most useful modification I've done to any old bike.

A well tuned stock XS is great and with these changes much better. You will notice each change.

Modern tires. Big plus!
SA and steering bearings.
Good quality rear shocks.
Halogen headlight.
www.650central.com front brake modification or dual brakes for more powerful brakes. Big plus!

Each one of these changes will be a noticable up-grade from 1970's tech.

Tom Graham

hey this is great. Thread starter, pick the best ones and edit your original post to make a list!

Yes yes yes on rear shocks!

Rant on warning!!

Front brakes, FULL overhaul, every piece apart, all parts that need renewal replaced, everything thoroughly flushed with brake parts cleaner. master cylinder all the way apart, if it won't come apart REPLACE it. Caliper slide pins; all apart, derusted, regreased with synthetic brake grease rubbers good, they need to slide in and out with light finger pressure. Then all back together and bled properly. now decide if it needs an upgrade. Yes I know the single disk on an XS650 is marginal for anyone used to newer bike brakes but some riders don't really need more. And if it is really working as designed it's not that bad for one rider on a bare bike. Egads the chooper guys just throw the front brakes away! I am cleaning the front brakes on a 1980 CSR305 today. they worked fine, solid lever, no wheel drag, stopped the bike well. Opened them up and the inside is a total disaster. Gelled brake fluid everywhere. I had been so tempted to just leave it, but it's for my daughter's learner bike and just had to look. How many of us ride along head in the sand about the brakes on old bikes?
Okay rant off.

the first part of the choke lever is just fast idle also. I will have to look at the XS but most bikes can be adjusted so the choke fast idle is very usable for what you describe.

Haha, thanks guys. Great start. Keep em' coming!
Sorry, I wouldn't even know where to begin choosing and editing...
Maybe a guru could take over this monster!

I think the most cost effective and handy mod I've done is put a plastic valve stem cover on my idle speed adjuster. I think everbody has one or two just laying around. It needs to be squeezed on with a pair of pliers.
When you first start your bike it makes bumping up the idle speed easy. And as the bike warms up you just reach down and back the speed down. No tools.

Back