The big split

Huck

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello members....got a question for you. When you split the cases do you leave the guts in the bottom end and remove the top half or vice versa ? If you leave it all in the top half how do you deal with those long studs, I didn't really want to remove them.
Thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

I never took mine apart, it was in boxes when I got it, but I(and inxs!) would imagine it would be easier to turn it over and lift the bottom off - this way all the gears and selectors remain in their place and you remove the case only. Just make sure you got all the bolts undone, there are 14 on the bottom case if I remember correctly, two or three "hidden" ones on either side, two by the sprocket, and one by the clutch basket.

Have a look at my engine build thread and just go backwards!:D:thumbsup:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30786

(saved by inxs!!!:thumbsup:)

Last edited:
I built a stand with the uprights longer than the studs. I think almost everyone does it that way. I welded mine and used the engine mount bosses for mounting, but you could use 2x4's to make something to hold the top case as well.

The cases are designed to come apart upside down as all the transmission components are in the top half. Just go to the engine forum section and search a little, you will see plenty of examples of engine tear downs and reassembly.

depends on what you are trying to do, transmission work does not require removal of the top end, if the top end does need to be removed it it easier to use a milk crate or something that has room to slide the studs through or into or use a engine stand, removing the cylinder studs is a PITA and is rarely worth the time and trouble

Thanks for all the input. I'm tearing this engine down for a rephase....it's from an '83 Special that will become a bobber. I'll put up some pics as soon as it's worthwhile.
Thanks again.

Back