The Official Michigan Thread

Well I made the trip up here from florida for my dads surgery and I'm freezing my coin purse off. Hospital waiting rooms suck except for the free wifi and hot nurses.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures,found it near Flint.

Attachments

• IMAG0237a.jpg
    IMAG0237a.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 3kd3pa3l95V65U45P5abu35d52e5c947511ba.jpg
    3kd3pa3l95V65U45P5abu35d52e5c947511ba.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 3n73mc3o85Q05T65X6abu73be86dda569194d.jpg
    3n73mc3o85Q05T65X6abu73be86dda569194d.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 136
Sorry for the poor quality pictures,found it near Flint.
It has not been running since '95.Wires were hacked because of lost keys. Checked the oil pulled the plugs,powered up the starter to get oil moving around.ran wires to the coils from a battery, shot of starting fluid fired on the first kick sputtered stalled. another shot it fired and i let it run for about 5 minutes came down to an idle. Now I have my motivation to get started on my winter project.

I live in Durand, about 15 miles west of Flint. I think I saw that bike that you purchased in Flint on CL. If it's the same one you got a good deal. I'm currently turning my 73 tx650 into a bobber. Rebuilding my engine and the frame is coming along really well. Does anyone know of a good machine shop that works on the 650s? I need to have my cylinders bored.

Hey everyone, Does anybody know a good machine shop that does engine work such as head and cylinders in the Detroit area? We are rebuilding a 76' XS650.

JDS1, most any auto machine shop can bore your cylinders. Just get the pistons you want and have the machine shop bore them for a .0020-.0022 clearance.
On one engine the local speed shop that the local car racers use charged me $35 per hole.

Be careful with off-spring... They grow up and flip you off on the triples.....Or brake check you in corners......Or do tricks like "knick-knack-paddy- whack" Off the tripples while your lucky to clear the first two.....Or tell you while 2" away from you on those tripples that you finally got the balls to try, and he reaches over and trips your kill switch ( all the while your fingers are dead white inside your 10 year old street gloves......Just so you know...mine truned 25 last week...and he still doesn't have a car/truck and he's still riding that CR80 I bought him for his 10th birthday (HEY...it was brand new then....)..... Have fun or die trying.....WTH....jimi

Thanks, I'll start calling some local shops. rawxs, I'm in Lincoln Park, just south of Detroit.

use to be a place called Carpenters that all that shop sent heads / jugs to be machined. Do not know if there still open? I think they were in Ann Arbor. rawxs

Sounds like alot of Michiganers on this forum, and I have noticiad a few Ontarians as well. Question; how many of you have heard of Friday the 13th in Port Dover Ont. and if so wouldnt that be a great place for all the xs,ers to hook up. Let me know guys I am local and could come up with a spot for everyone to meet.

have not heard of it sounds interesting, what sounds even more interesting is 5 hours on a hardtailed xs650....might wanna upgrade those seat springs fellas

anyone know shit about this whole no fault insurance thing here in Michigan? just had a semi cut me off this afternoon on the highway and my truck is now beatin up because of someone else and they dont have to pay for it?! WTF

accidentimage.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my progress so far,rear frame chop swingarm extended 2 1/2" . I have to mount the seat and tank and I am making some new bars.

Attachments

• IMAG0012t.JPG
    IMAG0012t.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 145
  • bars2.jpg
    bars2.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 142
anybody close to flint that would like to give a new guy some help on the project i just started? it ran the last time in 09, and got it from a friend for 500. now the clutch is locked, and needs teh wiring completely redone.
bikeleft.jpg

bikefrontleft.jpg

bikebackleft.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty much. It ran before,but it sat out for a while and a carb was stuck, and the clutches are stuck now. I can't wait though to get riding it.

Back