There is hope for my lights yet.

Today I checked the suspect wire again. This time is dialed down to 0. I noticed the entire headlight area has some damage. Both turn signals are bent and the headlight frame is not perfect. Could that be the problem? Everything else I've looked at is good. I am really at my wit's end on this.

So, a black ground wire that showed poor connection now shows good? What could cause that? Sounds like signs of an advanced degraded/corroded 30-40 year old wiring system. In the headlight shell pic that shows the bent turn signal stalk, the ground lug on that stalk looks corroded. And, if you look at the way the lug is mounted on that stalk, you'll notice that grounding that stalk depends on pressure from the stalk nut, which cannot properly apply that pressure while in that bent condition.

I know that you're looking for a single-point-of-failure, it's probably there, but if the wiring system is in this shape, exhibiting unpredictable changes, that's a sign that the entire system needs to be thoroughly inspected and all connectors cleaned, known problem components replaced.

There's plenty of schematics here, and many threads about chasing electrical gremlins. If you feel this is beyond you, don't feel alone, we've all been there. You've just entered the twilight zone.

In post #13, you said about the wiring in the headlight shell "everything looks good". This is a mental trap that will prevent you from solving this problem. Assume everything is bad. It's also very likely that you're chasing gremlins that the previous owner(s) tried to fix in an unorthodox fashion, and you're focused on their mods. Take a step back, take a deep breath, and tell yourself that "fixing the problem" is no longer a process of find and fix. Think of it as: "This is now a thorough electronics overhaul".

Your PO replaced the stock fuse box becuase it wasn't great when new and only got worse in the years since. Replacing them with inline fuse holders is a good and ecceptable fix. As long as they are blade type fuse holders.
Round glass fuses are crap, alway have been, always will be.
Start at one end of the bike, Pull apart each and every connection, clean, tighten and a dab of dialectric grease in each one. Most of the switches can be taken apart and cleaned. In the bar switch housings check for loose solder joints.
This will take time and effort but it will save you tons of aggravation down the road. Doing this before you did much else may even have fixed this problem before it became a problem.
Leo

BREAKTHROUGH!!! A friend of mine at work told me to bypass the fuses and just twist the wires together. All of my idiot lights came on! Now I need to figure out the problem with my new fuse box. Thank you to everyone who offered ideas and help.

I have juice! I installed blade type fuses and my gauge lights came on. I still cannot get her started. Does anyone know any tricks to kick starting an old bike? Here are some pictures. Note the position of the key.

Attachments

• 100_0862.jpg
    100_0862.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_0863.jpg
    100_0863.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 100_0864.jpg
    100_0864.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 136
In your last pic is the run position of the key. Turning it farher over is the Park position. Tail light comes on, Maybe dash lights too, But won't run.
If you have power enough to light the lights then I would check voltage at the red/white wire at the coils. It should be very close to battery voltage, like .2 or .3 volts.
On kick stating, put in neutral leave clutch lever out, push the enrichener lever down. Flip kick lever out. Ease the kicker down turning the engine slowly. Turn till you feel resistance, this means the pistons are coming up and one reaches TDC, Now kick it like you mean it, no half hearted kicks. Do this with the bike as stable as you can, on the side stand, centerstand even better. Don't twist the throttle, just hold it.
If everything is right it will start.
One thing If your bike has vacuum petcocks turn to PRI. This bypasses the vacuum and lets the float bowls to fill with fiel. Once running turn back to ON.
Leo

Thanks for the information about kick starting. I am installing some new parts this week, so I will be attempting to start her again. I will post video once I get her running.

Back