These look pretty worn out don't they?

Drizzle

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not getting charge. It appears to actually go down when I rev the engine while the meter is touching the back of the brushes. I don't k ow what the heck I'm doing but I'm glad this site and you guys are here. Cheers
20161011_154931.jpg
20161011_154947.jpg

Hi drizzle,
the voltage you're measuring on the back of the brushes is the ~12Volts DC your battery is feeding them.
That it don't go up to ~13.5Volts DC with revs shows that the alternator isn't charging.
But yes, those brushes are totally worn out. And how did they ever wear on a slant like that anyway?
I've seen a few brushes worn too short to reach the rotor's slip rings but they've always been worn square.
Something ain't right. Got a photo of the rotor slip rings?

Hi drizzle,
the voltage you're measuring on the back of the brushes is the ~12Volts DC your battery is feeding them.
That it don't go up to ~13.5Volts DC with revs shows that the alternator isn't charging.
But yes, those brushes are totally worn out. And how did they ever wear on a slant like that anyway?
I've seen a few brushes worn too short to reach the rotor's slip rings but they've always been worn square.
Something ain't right. Got a photo of the rotor slip rings?
I put it all back together while I wait for my new brushes to arrive. It's pretty wore out as well. The minute I get the cash, I'm swapping charging systems with HHB goods. I'm just hoping for a temporary fix with new brushes. I'll be sure to snap a bunch of photos when I open it back up.

I put it all back together while I wait for my new brushes to arrive. It's pretty wore out as well. The minute I get the cash, I'm swapping charging systems with HHB goods. I'm just hoping for a temporary fix with new brushes. I'll be sure to snap a bunch of photos when I open it back up.
Hi Drizzle,
while HHB's PMA charging system works just fine, so does the stock system.
And even if your stock system is totally hooped it'll cost you far less to refurbish it than to buy any of the aftermarket alternatives.

Hi Drizzle,
while HHB's PMA charging system works just fine, so does the stock system.
And even if your stock system is totally hooped it'll cost you far less to refurbish it than to buy any of the aftermarket alternatives.
I may have continuity through the rotor and the slip rings themselves if I remember right when I checked it. If that is the case then from my understanding the rotor is failing. The copper slip rings are very worn looking for sure. If the rotor is causing the issue then I don't feel it to be cost efficient to just replace it. I may be chasing other issues at a later date and eventually have about the same amount invested in a old system as opposed to having a whole new system. Also I think it would look cleaner without a battery if I ever decided to go that route. I appreciate all help for sure.

Hi Drizzle,
it's the rotor's resistance that's important (At least 4 Ohms between rings, Infinite resistance between rings and ground) but if the slip rings ain't smooth and can't be cleaned up you need a replacement rotor.
Replacement rotor @ ~$150 vs PMA set-up @ ~$400, you choose.
And check out all the PMA + Capacitor + HELP? posts before you drink that particular koolade.
With a battery you can pull the headlight bulb and limp home if the charging system quits.
If the alternator quits with a capacitor it's a long push home or phone a bro with truck.

Back