Think this this dangerous?

kelso

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I want to lace my hubs to 21" excel rims on the front and rear. Trouble is, at 1.6" width it looks like the widest tire I can run is an 80 which is 3" wide if I am not mistaken. I really like this look but I don't want to make a death rocket out of this thing just to get a desired look.

What do you guys think? Anyone running a really narrow tire like this on the rear?

I also like the look of the knobby dual sport tires but there again I am creating an even smaller contact point to the road.

Getting the bike back from the frame mod in a few weeks and I need to make up my mind.

living is dangerous. use your head. dont push your bike beyond its limits.
I have no advise to ypu about your question, but I will bump your query to the top.

Shinko dual sport (trials) tires. Excel rims.
Bikesophia.jpg

102_1946.jpg

101_0011.jpg

Still sitting in the shop, so unfortunately I have yet to ride it other than stock. I need to finish wiring and then I will take it out. From other's I have talked to who did a 21" rear, it will handle fine. It is not a fat tire bike, so of course it will handle differently, but not out of control.
Run a front brake.

I have heard that fat tire bikes have their own handling issues. I am thinking it will handle great it just might not bite great when trying to stop.

Narrow tires corner better-- fatter tires do better in straight lines and crossing lines in pavement. Everything is a trade-off. Anything fatter than stock is a waste unless tire spin is an issue. If the tire is speed rated and designed for the weight of bike and rider(s) then it should be okay. Just take the time to learn it.

Back