tire pressure for modern tires

marp68

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
The manual says 23-35 lb/in2 (1.6 bar) for front wheel and 28-30 (2.00) for the rear.

On my former bikes (newer models) I always used higher pressure.

Why only 1.6? Old specification for older type of tire?

Which pressure do you guys use for modern tires?

M

Check the manufactures web site dunlop has lots of info + tire pressure recommendations.
then ride and play around with it some, I been running mine at the manual recommended pressure 23/24psi front and 28/29 rear dunlop elite3's.

For street use a motorcycle tire is correctly inflated when pressure at full warm-up is 10% higher than cold pressure. Start with cold pressure at 30 lbs. front and 34 rear. Go for a longish ride involving a bit of speed, pull off, and check pressure. If pressure has increased more than 10%, the tire is a bit underinflated; increase cold pressure next time you ride. If the increase is less than 10%, the tire is a bit overinflated; reduce cold pressure next time. If you ride with varying loads (passenger, gear, etc.), keep a log, and you'll know where to set pressure without any guess work.

under inflated tires will run hot from the extra flex, do a good ride feel the tread should be warm but not hot I run the tire makers recomendation and adjust if not happy

Tire construction and vehicle weight determine tire pressure.
I do almost the same as Grizld1, except I use 3 lbs of pressure. If hot pressure is less than 3 lbs then to hard, more than 3 lbs to soft. I have used this procedure on most everything that has tires and it works great.
If you put a tire for a heavy weight touring bike on a light bike like our XS's you won't need as much pressure.
Using the pressure listed on the sidewall is usually way to much air. Thats the pressure you would use so that tire can carry the max amount of weight that tire can carry.
Most tires can carry way more weight than most bikes weigh.

hi guys ,,,, i,ve got a 1980 modded gs1000e,,,, with progressive springs in front 10w oil in tubes,, gsx1100 alloy swing arm with 4 way adjustable shocks and i,m running bridgestone tire as a pair ,,, on the rear i run 37psi... and on the front i run 35psi it handle sweet ... regards oldbiker

Is there any suggested pressure difference between running spokes vs. Mags.

I'm running cobra venoms 100/90-19 front and 130/90-16 rear on mags. If I recall the venoms suggested pressure is in the low 40's.

Posted via Mobile

The type of wheel has no effect on the tire pressure.
To set your pressure see post #5 and #7. It's all right there.
Leo

Back