Tire size options

Gcraay

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm looking to put as wide and tall a tire my stock mag rims will take. I am stretching the rear 3 inches, so I have room. I was wondering what anyone has been able to fit. I will have disc brakes, and am looking to go for an aggressive look for the tires so if you know of any, then great. Also, why do I see so many different references for size?

Stretching it won't do next to squat to accommodate more width. The rear is tapped out at a 130 in width, unless your swingarm gets wider. The stock tire is a 130/90, so there is no taller metric size tire, and some even in THAT stock size rub the swingarm and can get slapped regularly by the chain. A stretch will increase that likelihood. If you put those Model-T tires on it (5.00 X16?) it's taller, but there is a reason those tires are not installed on any modern motorcycle.
Are you seeking to make your bike handle as poorly as possible? Overly tall (and poorly reinforced) sidewalls and width of rubber that will never touch the road are great for that, especially when pinched onto a narrow rim not made for them.
$0.02

Hi Gcraay,
even if you widen the swingarm you're still bitched for a fatter tire than a 130 width.
OK, mebbe a 140 if you lose the chainguard.
Fatter than that and the chain will rub on the tire sidewall.
Space the rear sprocket out and you gotta move the rear wheel sideways to let the rear sprocket line up with the countershaft sprocket.
Then the bike is running dog-tracked.

Is there room on these to space both front and rear sprockets? I've never tried it, maybe it's an option.

To install an offset final drive sprocket the outer casting would have to be cut away to clear it and the offset sprocket would put a nasty cantilever load on the output shaft.
Offsetting the rear wheel sprocket only takes a wide enough hardtail.
I've seen photos of widearsed hardtails that used a jackshaft to move the chain run outwards.

I have to say...im running one of those 16x5.00 (avon sm2's) on a 3" harley fatboy rim...my fender sits super snug , which gives me concerns about riding at speed( hoping to fab up some fender mounts to kinda pull the fender away from tire)... i still havent figured out how im gonna set up my rear caliper....or have it running for that matter...i think my motor is kinda maybe sorta pooched...sorry not meant to hijack..just ran on a bit...that being said..im building a chopper that "i will ride like i stole it"..its a chopper, its supposed to be scary/uncomfortable/cool as you know what..floppy tall ancient tyres( cuase they're avons lol) are par for the course...now if your building a cafe..130-140 width is doable and there is super sticky rubber out there..pirrelli corsa 3's on my buddy's 600ninja were like being superglued to the road in the summer...u could feel resistance on acceleration from a set a lights ..so sticky...in december however they feel more riding on frozen hockey pucks...(dont ask, yes im stupid and have the roadrash to verify my statement)

Last edited:
im building a chopper that "i will ride like i stole it"..its a chopper, its supposed to be scary/uncomfortable/cool as you know what..floppy tall ancient tyres( cuase they're avons lol) are par for the course

Well then, if you're AWARE you are "building" a dangerous piece of shit................:banghead:

See...this is where i kinda get cheesed...i am not building a piece of shit...i was a certified welder , have built race cars chassis and rollcages..ridden 300hp turbo and nitrous bikes( on the street in my less advanced years)..im not sour just wonderin if we were at a local bar pub whatever...would you walk up to a bike and say " what a dangerous piece of shit"...most be wouldn't take to kindly to that.. i'm building my vision of a chopper ...it will be a frisco tanked , tall tired hand shifted nutso-mobile...and i'll love every minute of not seeing out of my mirrors , wincing over expansion joints cause my kidneys are bleedin.....you want safe and comfortable buy a volvo ....you want something that doesnt require daily fiddlin buy a new fuel injected whatever bike maybe a vstar or virago with comfy suspension...buying any motorcycle or car for that matter thats 25+ yrs old and expect modern day performance or safety is like expecting a shopping cart to not have one wonky wheel...rant over folks...i've seen some incredible deathtraps and awful welding jobs on more than few bikes around...but i keep my yap firmly shut..cause just maybe thats the best they can afford to do...style is subjective...maybe im just a nice guy...but i dont call bikes pieces of shit even if they are...im sorry for not putting a smiling thing...i just couldnt find the one sticking up his middle finger

Hi Pirate,
"i will ride like i stole it".. You mean you stop at red lights and stay within the speed limit at all times so the cops don't pull you over?
And a frisco tanked, tall tired hand shifted nutso-mobile is still a dangerous POS even if it's got TIG welds that passed radiographic inspection.

I really dont understand the whole "dangerous pos" with all tig welds xray'd and what not...but i gotta ask...dont you like choppers? How are they P.O.S..i dunno..maybe you two could enlighten me ...maybe in a separate thread..since i think this one was about tire size...someone above was kinda snarky about 16x5 balloon tires...i have them on project bike at the moment so i offered my opinion...long winded yes , but meh whatever....may the chopper gods bless us all..well not all of us

Edit: nevermind...im talking chop ...not trying to piss off purists...im canadian so i have to apologize..its in my nature...

Last edited:
Twomany ,
I have now .what i gather from those two posts is that people have a difference of opinions...i get it...guys with suspension bikes love em and guys who have hardtails/choppers love em too...do i have to hide my frame pics when asking for help on my motor rebuild...meh...what can u you do...lol

Scary and uncomfortable equals dangerous. Period. Wasn't my words. Just what it says to me. Might as well be a wall hanger shotgun. Useless if it won't do what it's designed to do. If it's uncomfortable and dangerous it's a styling exercise, not a motorcycle. You can watch some of those bike builder shows and see plenty of unrideable pieces of shit with beautiful welds. If it can't do 400 plus miles in a day without putting you in the hurt locker you might as well be riding a horse.

I really dont understand the whole "dangerous pos" with all tig welds xray'd and what not...but i gotta ask...dont you like choppers? How are they P.O.S..i dunno..maybe you two could enlighten me ...maybe in a separate thread..since i think this one was about tire size...someone above was kinda snarky about 16x5 balloon tires...i have them on project bike at the moment so i offered my opinion...long winded yes , but meh whatever....may the chopper gods bless us all..well not all of us
Edit: nevermind...im talking chop ...not trying to piss off purists...im canadian so i have to apologize..its in my nature...

Hi Pirate,
well, I would start a separate thread but 2Many's links have already done that.
And WTF's wrong with a 5"-16 tire on an XS650 seeing as my Heritage left the factory wearing one?
But personally, I started riding on "hardtails" when they were just the pre-war bikes that didn't have rear suspension.
I switched to rear suspended bikes the minute I could afford one just to ease my aching back.
Canadian? Me too and I had to pass an exam to get in. There were skill-testing questions.

Back