Transmission problem (won't shift)

_AM_

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I just got an 83 xs650 and have been running it the last two months. I didn't realize (until it was too late) but I was running with the oil quite low and the transmission seems to be pretty messed up now. After the engine heats up the bike either won't shift from 2 to 3 at all or will go into a false neutral.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks

Welcome to the board.
Do you have a repair manual? In the manual there are adjustments that can help on the shifting. Shift shaft adjustment or something simular In the Clymer manual it's on page 80. You will need to drain the oil, remove the right side engine cover to check the adjustment. If doing the adjustment won't fix it then you may have to pull the engine, split the cases and take a look inside the transmission.
I might also be a poor clutch adjustment. Easier to do and you won't need the drain the oil. Ajustment is on page 24, pics on page 26.
Leo

LEO I too have an 83 it was running fine rebuilt everything cept the tranny and clutch system, ran fine for a couple months but i noticed while shifting mostly into first it would clunk really loud and tonight i went to go got 10 feet and it got a lil rough sounded then was not engaged. would this be an adjustment issue you think that i could solve without yanking out the motor again? i have not looked at it yet just started browsing around to find any sort of information before i head to the shop with it.

LEO I too have an 83 it was running fine rebuilt everything cept the tranny and clutch system, ran fine for a couple months but i noticed while shifting mostly into first it would clunk really loud and tonight i went to go got 10 feet and it got a lil rough sounded then was not engaged. would this be an adjustment issue you think that i could solve without yanking out the motor again? i have not looked at it yet just started browsing around to find any sort of information before i head to the shop with it.

it would be better to start your own thread on your gearbox issue rather than hyjack AM's as trying to answer two probably different issues on the same thread will get very confusing for all concerned.:wink2:
sorry didn't mean that to sound harsh but it would probably be easier . Sounds like you recently had some work done on the engine so it would be helpful to detail a little history too.

Last edited:
I just got an 83 xs650 and have been running it the last two months. I didn't realize (until it was too late) but I was running with the oil quite low and the transmission seems to be pretty messed up now. After the engine heats up the bike either won't shift from 2 to 3 at all or will go into a false neutral.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks

welcome AM . :thumbsup: Be good to see your ride , perhaps you could introduce yourself with an image. Not quite sure where new members post their intros ...:confused:

You're oil level might not have been as low as you might think . I believe its common practice to run transmissions at about half level on the dipstick certainly on the earlier models .

Back