triple tree flip

allyn

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
the first pic it the top triple stock position
the second one is it flipped
you remove top triple and flip it then loosen the nuts on the lower triple and slide the tubes into the uppers tighten everything up however ill be using clip on bars so idk it will with stock risers but it should

Attachments

• Kalyn T. Bell in his New House 053.jpg
    Kalyn T. Bell in his New House 053.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 288
  • Kalyn T. Bell in his New House 054.jpg
    Kalyn T. Bell in his New House 054.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 367
i get your point it can be ugly for some. but its a quick and easy way to drop the front end aluminum slugs or even shotgun shell would be cool in the empty holes

What you failed to realize here is that now, with that 1.5" drop, your lowers will be slamming into the bottom triple tree at full fork compression. On a stock set-up at full compression, there's only about 7/8" of clearance - and that's with the dust covers removed. The dust covers take away another 5/8". It's your bike, ride it around like that if you like, but I don't recommend it. The common sense "gene" seems to be missing in many of today's youths, lol.

What you failed to realize here is that now, with that 1.5" drop, your lowers will be slamming into the bottom triple tree at full fork compression. On a stock set-up at full compression, there's only about 7/8" of clearance - and that's with the dust covers removed. The dust covers take away another 5/8". It's your bike, ride it around like that if you like, but I don't recommend it. The common sense "gene" seems to be missing in many of today's youths, lol.

lol, I know plenty of old dumb-asses too, it isn't just the young people.

Yup. Shotgun shells would be awesome. Throw some brass knuckles on there and you've got a bobber.

That's me being a smartass.

Simple bar drop = lower bars, clubmans, clipons... there are a billion ways to do that without inverting the top tree.

You can slide the forks up through the top tree without inverting it if you want to do a quick front end lowering job.

Hugh makes everything look good....and easy

lol, I know plenty of old dumb-asses too, it isn't just the young people.

Oh yeah there are dumbasses at any age. My personal findings are that for the older ones it's too late in the game to change. At least the kids can blame it on youth no?

the first pic it the top triple stock position
the second one is it flipped
you remove top triple and flip it then loosen the nuts on the lower triple and slide the tubes into the uppers tighten everything up however ill be using clip on bars so idk it will with stock risers but it should
Hey man I'm finally to the point of lowering my forks on my 79 special Cafe project so by inverting the top tree how much did that lower yes n how's the handle n ride and performance

Hey man I'm finally to the point of lowering my forks on my 79 special Cafe project so by inverting the top tree how much did that lower yes n how's the handle n ride and performance
Hardly better than stock, and that is before you hit a proper bump. The only sensible way to lower a stock front end is to use spacers on the damping rod, like those offered by HHB, alternatively install top out springs with the desired Iength. Or combine those two; an alloy boss secured to the damping rod with grub screws or roll pins, and a shortened spring secured to this boss. Pretty easy to make, maybe use a shortened valve spring as a top out spring. A shorter damping rod would also work, but that would be a more complicated affair.
I do not recommend any less than 4 1/2" or 115 mm fork travel, so do not reduce travel more than 1-1 1/2". After shortening the fork stroke, the fork spring preload spacers needs to be cut accordingly, to achieve suitable sag setting.

If you actually want your cafe racer to handle and ride well, getting the spring rate, preload and damping right is much more important than any "Rad" changes.....Those only impress the ignorant.

It's not just riding well, it's riding safely. Badly modified suspension makes a bike that can be down right dangerous. This can be from too little rake, too low, no tire clearance, no damping, etc. When I went through my forks to do the 2" drop one side had no oil, the other was maybe 3oz, so no damping. The RFY shocks while easy on the budget need to be opened as they don't have enough oil and only damp maybe 1/3-1/2 of their travel.

If anything look into an aftermarket upper triple, it'll be smooth and leave the forks at the right height. Then if regular clip ons are too low, get some that have some rise in them. Then you can lower the forks properly to get the ride height you want, and put fresh oil. The fresh oil will probably help the ride more than anything.

I use Clubmans so that way there secred proper n my mind neway n I am looking to lower my forks a couple inches n have been considering sliding forks through my trees n calling it even but like thoes with the sence God gave a horse I'm not willing to sacrifice my safety or the safety of other around me by doin shotty or other wise poor work just cuz it might look cool there's brave n then there's out right stupidity n I have no tolerance for stupidity

Sliding the forks, (especially 2"), up through the crown will have the same affect as mentioned in the beginning of this thread..........the guard, (or wheel if no guard), will hit the underside of the tripple

Last edited:
Back