Trouble shooting

bsimmons

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So last week out for a ride the bike died on me blew the headlight and the battery was fried. So looking around on here and reading it seemed it was my regulator? So ordered a new one and a new battery hooked up the new regulator and new battery perfect lights are working again bike is sounding good no misfire or bogging. So today take it out for a ride made it 3 blocks to the gas station bike dies. No light nothing. But the bike will start and idle just when I go to give it gas it just dies out

The setup on my bike is kick only headlight and taillight only and a. I'll switch
New pma and pamco with a brand new regulator. I checked all the fuses there good I'm not to sure what the issue is I'm having. Is the battery supposed to get warm? And I'm not sure if it's a bad ground any help is good help because I'm stumped. Thanks

So last week out for a ride the bike died on me blew the headlight and the battery was fried. So looking around on here and reading it seemed it was my regulator? So ordered a new one and a new battery hooked up the new regulator and new battery perfect lights are working again bike is sounding good no misfire or bogging. So today take it out for a ride made it 3 blocks to the gas station bike dies. No light nothing. But the bike will start and idle just when I go to give it gas it just dies out

The setup on my bike is kick only headlight and taillight only and a. I'll switch
New pma and pamco with a brand new regulator. I checked all the fuses there good I'm not to sure what the issue is I'm having. Is the battery supposed to get warm? And I'm not sure if it's a bad ground any help is good help because I'm stumped. Thanks

I'm thinking you may have high voltage.

Measure the battery voltage at 1200 rpm and at 3000/3500 rpm. You don't want to see voltage above 14.5 volts. The voltage regulator must have a good ground, connected to bare metal on the frame, or nasty things can happen..

Yea I checked it before I rode and it never spiked higher then 14.1 but I'll double check the grounds also thanks

Back