Trouble with carbs, no a/f mixture screws?

I believe they came from the factory with caps on the a f mix screw and I believe that is what I see here. I bet those little plugs w hole in it come out. I have never seen them b4 may b your bike has not been messed w at all in 30 years.

Yes, your mix screws still have the brass plugs over them from the factory .....

It sounds like your pilot circuit is still plugged or partially plugged. You can't clean it properly with the mix screws still in place and you can't remove them with those plugs still installed. They need to come out.

Maybe you can force the plugs out by blowing air through that little hole? Kinda like blowing hand grips off?

Or drill a hole large enough to use a course thread screw and yank those suckers like a bad tooth.
Caution the plugs are only about 3/8" thick after that you uck fup the mix screw.
Hope the pic helps even if it is poor quality.

Attachments

• 09-18-08_2147.jpg
    09-18-08_2147.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 121
If it only idles with the choke on , the idle circuit is clogged. I've been there a 100 times . from lawn mowers to pick up trucks, it's the same thing. you need to take the carbs apart and clean them. 2+2 solvent and compressed air , and sometimes it doesn't always work.

Thanks everyone, hope someone else finds this useful. I had a feeling that the a/f mixture screws were under there somewhere.
Will try too pull them out without drilling.

Hi UCX650,
here's a link to MikesXS:-
http://www.xs650direct.com/products-37.html
Scroll down the page to see #48-5011 which is the needle, spring, plain washer and o-ring that your carbs need.
The item below is the blanking plug that you DON'T need.
Pull the plugs in your carbs by carefully drilling them through with a 1/8" drill bit, reefing a self-tapping screw in there and making like a dentist with your vise-grip.
When you unscrew the needles you may find that the washer and o-ring stay down the hole.
Fish them out with a straightened out paper clip with a very short L-bend on it's end.
FWIW, the rubber plugs
http://www.xs650direct.com/products-39.html
#48-5002
that seal the slow running jets are a perfect fit where the plugs used to be if you feel the need for something to keep the dust out.

Back