Tubeless front spoke wheel?

KUSHLIFE

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i've got a couple of ideas of making a stock spoke wheel go tubeless...any of you out there done this? i'm thinking i can use one or some of my auto body products to seal the spokes up- looks very similar to what is used on my big v-twin project wheels...

Do a search, there's a lot of them done. The advantage is less unsprung weight, less friction and heat. In addition to the flat fix already pointed out.

John

I had a DNA spoke rim have the silicone strip delaminate and pop off ...instant flat. it was very thick not keen on idea that at high sped its trying to fly off rim. just my 2cents. if you do try and seal bead blast area for better adhesion.

Yup that's what came to mind for me. Centripetal force is not your friend here.
I think the only spoke rim for a tubeless app is one where the spoke attach points don't penetrate the the wheel cavity (do such wheels exist? Are they butt ugly?) LOL

Centripetal force does not exist but that's a thread for a different forum.

Honda used them on the Rebels. Look kinda funny. The hub has a flange that bends over flat for the nipples. Kinda like some Harley hubs.
The rim has a flange that sticks straight out and has the holes for the spokes.I'll se if I can find a pic.
Leo

Searched Ebay and found these. One is the front wheel, then close up of rim and hub.
Leo

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!psE63ZjQgDmBPFb!LzLVQ~~60_14.jpg
    $(KGrHqF,!psE63ZjQgDmBPFb!LzLVQ~~60_14.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 190
  • $(KGrHqN,!oEE8U-81(4bBPFb!N3vzg~~60_14.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!oEE8U-81(4bBPFb!N3vzg~~60_14.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 199
  • $(KGrHqV,!ncE8VSUg3HTBPFb!HrSSQ~~60_58.jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!ncE8VSUg3HTBPFb!HrSSQ~~60_58.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 136
Here's a rear. One whole wheel, the other close up of hub and rim.
Leo

Attachments

• $(KGrHqVHJDcE9!T+Rz0RBPV32-hD1!~~60_14.jpg
    $(KGrHqVHJDcE9!T+Rz0RBPV32-hD1!~~60_14.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 198
  • $(KGrHqRHJEQE88dEze0oBPV32z69cg~~60_58.jpg
    $(KGrHqRHJEQE88dEze0oBPV32z69cg~~60_58.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 119
I had a DNA spoke rim have the silicone strip delaminate and pop off ...instant flat. it was very thick not keen on idea that at high sped its trying to fly off rim. just my 2cents. if you do try and seal bead blast area for better adhesion.
yeah def going to blast area. i use a flexible body filler for plastic bumper repairs in my body shop and material is very similar to the material in my 250 rear v twin project. thinking that may work very well...i'll let you know if it holds air when done...

The force that would pull the sealant off the wheel, that would be centrifugal force wouldn't it.
Leo

Tubeless tires are safer because they run cooler and are less likely to blow out.

That said, there are some sealants that will seal the spoke nipples so that a tubeless tire can be mounted on a spoked wheel. Problem is: come time to true up the wheel again the sealant must be removed and then replaced.

Leo google it......
It's a useful term but is not scientifically correct (doesn't exist, really!) Typical high school physics lab stuff. If centrifugal force existed it would be the ever elusive anti-gravity :umm:

Back