TX650 US Model?

Uncle Frank

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all from Australia - this is my first posting. I have just come by my first 650 - guess you could call it a "barn find". From your XS650 model pdf I think it is a TX650 US model that has had an engine transplant sometime in the past.The frame no is S650-211462 and the engine no is S650-213827. It looks as though the rear of the frame has been modified and the engine has a provision for a valve lifter on the L/H exhaust valve.

Attachments

• tx1.jpg
    tx1.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 246
  • tx2.jpg
    tx2.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 246
Welcome to the forum, Uncle Frank.

Yep, serial numbers are TX650.

But, you've got some gold nuggets buried in there.
The front end is from an XS1B. Has value. On eBay is a drum brake wheel, $1000.
The rear rim is a 36-hole 3.00-16 Harley roll-rim. I understand hard to find.
I see some chromed motor mounts.

Didn't expect that, didja?

Hello all from Australia - this is my first posting. I have just come by my first 650 - guess you could call it a "barn find". From your XS650 model pdf I think it is a TX650 US model that has had an engine transplant sometime in the past.The frame no is S650-211462 and the engine no is S650-213827. It looks as though the rear of the frame has been modified and the engine has a provision for a valve lifter on the L/H exhaust valve.
Hi,
The engine number is for a 1973 TX650.
However it is not necessarily a "US model".
The 1973 TX650 was also sold new in Australia.
My engine number was very close to the one you have.

Welcome aboard. Tank looks to be from a 70-72 bike also. And that's a good thing the narrow rear of the early tanks is nice for the looks. What are your plans for the bike?

Welcome, Frame alterations require Engineering reports. Should be a modified plate on the frame. If not i would get some advice, won't be able to register without it

The device on the left valve adjustment cover is a decompressor. it was used on the first year of the E-start. There was lever under one hand grip. This actuated the decompressor and tripped the starter circuit.
They used this because the battery and starter were not quite up to the task. They may have used it for two years.
Before they added the e-start all four valve covers were three bolt covers. For the decompressor they used a four bolt cover. Once they removed the decompressor they never changed the head back to a 3 bolt cover.
On the frame it looks like they dropped the seat rails. Lets someone with short legs reach the ground better.
Leo

Welcome aboard. Tank looks to be from a 70-72 bike also. And that's a good thing the narrow rear of the early tanks is nice for the looks. What are your plans for the bike?
An old friend of mine is after it so I will move it on to him for the same price I bought it for - I already have enough bikes to keep me busy for years and he is starting out again. However I can see myself being involved with this bike for a long time to come so you havn't heard the last from me!

The device on the left valve adjustment cover is a decompressor. it was used on the first year of the E-start. There was lever under one hand grip. This actuated the decompressor and tripped the starter circuit.
They used this because the battery and starter were not quite up to the task. They may have used it for two years.
Before they added the e-start all four valve covers were three bolt covers. For the decompressor they used a four bolt cover. Once they removed the decompressor they never changed the head back to a 3 bolt cover.
On the frame it looks like they dropped the seat rails. Lets someone with short legs reach the ground better.
Leo
Interesting stuff never heard of a starting system like that. Would you recommend going with this system when we do the engine or uprating the starter and battery?

Back