Uh-Oh...What's that horrible sound?

Rlauchard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

Man, I've been trying to get my house together for sale, and the bike has been gone for painting...so I haven't been in the threads much....but I'm back!

So, I've went through all my steps to get the bike running and have been on a couple of long rides...I love this! My challenge is that my starter motor (I believe) is going bad. When I kick start...vroom vroom baby!
When I push my start button, I get a sound that can only be described as a spoon in the garbage disposal. It's not every time, but it's gradually getting more prevalent.

1) Is this a starter motor issue?
2) Is there a good place for me to start on level of effort, parts, etc, etc?

Thanks as usual, I guess this is what I have to look forward to when owning a 1981 xs650 SH!

Hi all,

Man, I've been trying to get my house together for sale, and the bike has been gone for painting...so I haven't been in the threads much....but I'm back!

So, I've went through all my steps to get the bike running and have been on a couple of long rides...I love this! My challenge is that my starter motor (I believe) is going bad. When I kick start...vroom vroom baby!
When I push my start button, I get a sound that can only be described as a spoon in the garbage disposal. It's not every time, but it's gradually getting more prevalent.

1) Is this a starter motor issue?
2) Is there a good place for me to start on level of effort, parts, etc, etc?

Thanks as usual, I guess this is what I have to look forward to when owning a 1981 xs650 SH!

Worn starter gear? http://www.mikesxs.net/product/24-6522.html

My electric start sounded sad until I replaced the battery and starter relay.

i had a bitch of a time fixing the starter on the old lady's bike. replaced the hair spring and gear - which didn't work. so i crimped the old one - didn't work. tried it without the return spring installed - didn't work. put the hair spring "tang" in its groove, out of its groove, and so on... still didn't work. works better than it did before, but still isn't right.

only thing i didn't try was grinding the rubber off the engagement gear.

now i remember why i removed the entire thing on my cafe - what a pain in the ass.

So, right on....I increased the tension on the hairpin of the #4 gear...problem solved...however, I'm thinking I'll be back in there soon to redo it, or replace it....thanks for the help everyone!

Back