UK Board Tracker Build Thread

I don't think you could go wrong either way on this, but I vote for not cutting.

If it were way low to the frame, then sure...but essentially, it looks to be in line with the overall bike...it's almost or about the same height as the bottom of the rear hub...the foot pegs, and the front hub...so it doesn't look out of place. In fact, I'd argue it helps balance those points. Cutting it shorter may actually draw your eye up a bit there...which could look a little off.

Also, if you're adding any accents to the edge of the fender...some chrome end-cap or trim piece, for example, then I'd really recommend not cutting.

But seriously, not a huge factor...if you do cut it, I second the thought of keeping the radius in-line with the top of the fender.

Did the 'cover it with a finger' and *squint* routine, and will vote with the 'cut it off' crowd.
But, I don't have the artistic eye like the rest of you.
Maybe do a side view 'photoshop' before committing?

Chop it off!

Looking smart Paul!

Glad you decided to use the remainder of the tank for fuel, I'll put money on it that it will save you bottom end one day!!!

I think I'd cut it otherwise the mudguard visually cuts through the flow of the bottom frame stay

Hey Paul, damn nice job on your tank man! Good looking welds.
Wish I could weld as good.:D
I'll stick my neck out and vote for leaving the fender as is.
I think it fills out that area of the lower frame legs well.

I think I'd cut it otherwise the mudguard visually cuts through the flow of the bottom frame stay

Hi peanut,
OTOH, if it were mine I'd re-fasten it such that the front edge was just below the frontmost attachment crosstube and the back end kept more of the road crud off the back of my jacket.

Hi peanut,
OTOH, if it were mine I'd re-fasten it such that the front edge was just below the frontmost attachment crosstube and the back end kept more of the road crud off the back of my jacket.

thats very practical thinking Fred :wink2: I didn't think of that. I've spent years riding a bicycle without guards and being covered in road cr*p and still haven't learnt anything.:doh:

Hi Paul,

Loving the build progress.
My 2 cents (pence?) worth...
I agree with other comments that you cant go wrong with that guard either way, but
I'd vote for keeping the guard as is. I like the visual balance of having the guard at the same height as the bottom of the motor. Chopping the guard will make the back look lighter, so it depends on the look you're after.

Phil

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the comments! So, it's evens on chop or not to chop! I'll leave it for now, as it's easier to cut later, than re attach :)

Fred, I hear you but this is going to be a 100% fair weather bike, otherwise totally agree ;)

I've been fowling the build still trying to wrap my head around the design. Outstanding craftsmanship a high quality build. I would not cut the mud guard it looks good now.:twocents: :thumbsup:

While tidying up, I took a little wider angle shot of the bike

8C58CF13-7AF1-4A1E-855A-F4CF2B072B4D_zpszps2lchx.jpg

And one for Fred - today was one of our few dry days but boy are they good :)

BBB47C80-1325-44CF-8634-AC969C388192_zpscoiws7wg.jpg

Some bits and bobs arrived this week, so some fiddlier jobs done today. A pair of very nice Ram Air pod foam filters

67A994CB-8EC7-4842-900E-3F51D002A820_zpstdjw9vuh.jpg

A rather nice quick action throttle and a throttle cable, which needed making up

ACD0DA89-C769-4032-96E9-61138C80084D_zpsojfi5lyf.jpg

Got a nice 50mm weld in Bung for the tank and a flush fit filler cap. I'll blend the weld in when I come to do the tin work

0D18A4F5-E05C-42F2-9966-52599BF9492B_zpsfuwvslku.jpg

Welded in the steel tubes for the crossover pipe

45836DDE-63B0-4D89-AFE6-900C3EA29CDE_zpstso9t438.jpg

And also made a start on the electrics compartment. I cut out the access panel and welded in an 8mm pice of stud to secure the capacitor and it'll also act as an earth post

D296C79E-19B2-487C-90A2-2123CB1CAF18_zpsicp8cno3.jpg

Today, I got the plug leads made up and fitted. I wasn't happy with the clearance between the kickstart and the right peg, so made some improvements, putting in a broader dogs leg. Took it outside for a bit of perspective. Not bad so far :)

CD6764A7-28E9-4BA7-80B5-B113DB9CFD2E_zpsouqvrr9a.jpg

623C438C-A9EE-466C-8A65-8D433A7F67BB_zpslmwwdhbj.jpg

91B03DCF-57C2-4BA2-9767-55EB8C8D1CE4_zpsz6yu4mig.jpg

Back