UK Bobber Build thread

Well back in the shed this weekend. Unfortunately no engine cases - still at the blasters but have been assured they will be ready for me this weekend.

So, i thought I would crack on with the hubs, get them stripped down and polished up and relace the nice new rims onto them!

Lacing the rims wasnt too bad actually - it took a couple of goes and then no problem. I am very please with the way they turned out. Once i get them onto their axles ill use a dial guage to true them up and get a tyre fitter to mount the rubber properly

Front hub polished

100_2809_zpsd948124f.jpg

Now where do these all go?

100_2810_zps001713d0.jpg

Ta Da!

100_2811_zps1d334ce4.jpg

And the rear

100_2813_zpsa3c45e1c.jpg

100_2816_zps60cafdde.jpg

Machined a little spigot to cap off the redundant tacho drive

100_2814_zps04975d1a.jpg

100_2815_zps7b410998.jpg

And gave so parts a spruce up with some "Tough Black" paint

100_2817_zps4d413735.jpg

Hey John!
Not really - I was busy all last weekend and I am still waiting for the cases to come back form the blasters so havent got anything done. Plus, imanaged to smash the car up on Monday in a blizzard and sheet ice road, so quite annoyed that I have to sort that out too!
Hopefully I can get the cases this week and I have a weekend planned in the shed! :)

sorry to hear about your car Paul. Especially gutting when you must have so much money going out this month:yikes:

I've not followed your thread for a while and I'm amazed at your progress lately.

I see that your still not decided on the colour scheme although the frame colour is sheer class. It reminds me of the Mk2 Jaaag back in the 60's when every other car on the road was black and the silver/grey metallic Mk2 looked so gorgeous.

I like the front fender a lot. It has a very gentle delicate curvy shape to it that nicely balances the strong hard lines of the rest of the bike.

Theres something about the rear fender though that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe its because the sides sit lower on the side wall of the tyre than the front fender ? perhaps because there is so much of it. ? must stop analysing things so much :laugh:

I an in the same quandry as you about the front chain guide. Mine looks almost new with no visible wear at all but rubber deteriorates with age and I've no idea how old it is. If I change it then I might as well change the rear guide and thers another £100+ gone. I'll probably take a chance and keep the originals.

Now I've found your thread again I'll look in from time to time to see how your getting on . Don't envy you down the shed in this weather though!

Hi Peanut - Good to hear from you again! Yep its fairly cool in the shed at the mo especially with all of the snow here!
I hit lucky on ebay and got a new genuine front cam chain guide for £30 so I am happ ywith that. the rear looks like it has been replaced at some point and is nearly new.
Thanks for your comments re the frame - I am pleased with it. As fo colours I might just go light silver but Ill see what it looks like when I get the engine in, wheels on etc perhaps.

Hi Sub thanks for the comments. Im not running a tach as I just wanted the single speedo on the bars. I did think about shrotening the tach cable and mounting it lower down the frame but give up on that idea

Hi John, Yeah i know, can wait to get them mounted up now!! :)

Well hurrah! The engine case are finally back from the blasters and I am really pleased with the results - He's done a great job. I've used Bettablast in Newcastle for this and the powdercoating and couldnt be more impressed - very helpful and good work.

So, despite the snow, I started on the rebuild today. Got the bottom end back together, clutch done and all the gaskets and seals replaced.

Tomorrow, I will start on the top end, hone the bores, grind the valves back in etc. Just waiting on the gudgeon pin clips but they havent arrived yet, so Ill have to wait til next weekend to button it up and get it into the frame.

100_2819_zps7452b664.jpg

100_2818_zps698d03b9.jpg

100_2820_zps3e9eafc8-1_zpsab743967.jpg

Glad to hear you got your engine going back together Paul!:thumbsup: That is one good looking engine man!
Hell, you'll be all ready to ride very soon. Now if the weather will cooperate...

Thanks John - Yes I am hoping so! The weather here at the moment is really shite!
its about -8 out now and its just getting dark - more snow on the way.
Cant wait to get out and start riding!
I hope you and your family are all well and it looks from your thread you're getting on very well too!

After being slightly bladdered last night I have only managed to watch the Formula 1 today and re-assemble the jugs, guides etc, oh and grundy one valve in. Hopefully the piston clips will arrive this week and I can get the engine finished

Hi h3llb3nt1, yeah I am very pleased with them. Just trying not to get them dirty while
rebuilding!

My cases looked like that last year :( There looking decidedly grubby now.

Thats good progress on the rebuild. I still haven't closed my cases yet. groan.
I need to repair my oil filter and rebuild and check my starter . I thought it would be easier to fit them to the botom case first as I haven't got a engine stand .

I'm sure It will be a lot quicker the next time when I'll know exactly what I need to order before starting

Hi Peanut, I knocked myself up an engine stand from the plans in the tech section and it's a god send. Makes working on the engine so much easier.

I've looked at those and I'd love to build one but I have no Mig atm . I've ummmed and arrred about buying one as I need to do more welding on the Transit Campervan .I might fab one up out of 20mm box and see if I can get it welded locally somewhere.

Did the circlips arrive yet ?

I got some from this guy on UK ebay for £2.99 a pair . Search for Wiseco circlips 20mm type cw20 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wiseco-circlips-20mm-type-cw20-/251092580074?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160

Hi Airwolfie - the cases cost me £180 to get done. That included dipping blasting and coating.

Peanut, yes they arrived last night and seem spot on! If youve got box, I'd just lap the joints and bolt it up? Save buying one! :)

Back