UK Bobber Build thread

Thanks for that Bucko! Appreciate it you looking for me! Well a little more perserverence and still stuck! i have drilled away at either end with a 0.5mm oversize bit and can see that the bolt and the alluminium have effectively "welded" themselves together. I have seen it a few times before on trail bikes that I have had. I think Ill need to invest in a slightly longer drill bit and drill it out. Never the less, I have tilted the engine over and filled one side with WD40 and I will check it through the week in the hope it will penetrate it.
Despite the pain the arse with the bolt, I got the frame welded up, dressed and cleaned up. All the parts i want powder coated bagged up and loaded into the back of the car! :)

Still havent settled on a colour for the tins yet!!!!

100_2784_zps5b518d84.jpg

It will come to you. Took me a year and a seat to pull the colors from to finally decide. I still have not decided on frame color but, no hurry, have an engine to beef up

Yeah I know! Fram colour is set - Gun Metal Grey powder coat with a fleck lacquer!

Might just stick with the green and perhaps a brown seat????

At the end of the days its just the tins - they can be whipped off and resprayed!

What happend parked it in the wrong part of town lol looks nice bare to u gonu go with green handle bar grips to the ones with the glitter lol

The metallic gun metal grey is bad ass. Brother had his Audi A6 rims done in that. Very cool. The guy who did them said he would never do Audi rims again because however they coated them from the factory was a complete bitch to remove.

Can't help you there Paul. Not a big fan of green. I even like my grass a little purple with some sparkles. :smoke:

well I got the frame and parts back from the powder coater - very pleased with the results. The frame is now making me think light silver metallic for the tins to keep a classic look!!??

100_2787_zps8479a5d2.jpg

100_2788_zpsb3998c83.jpg

I also managed to drill the broken bolt out too:thumbsup:
I made a jig that I could clamp to the boss so to avoid the bit wandering into the alluminium. After a few re-sharpens of a long 10mm bit it finally came out.

Heres a picture of the jig and what was left of the bolt

100_2785_zpsc337314c.jpg

100_2786_zps99fa708e.jpg

So onwards to the engine!

Covers off barrels off and split the cases. All in all its very good inside and I will just clean up, blast the externals and replace seals etc!:D:D:D

100_2789_zpsb1467717.jpg

100_2790_zpse225f0fb.jpg

100_2791_zpsa42c694e.jpg

100_2792_zps76b54a17.jpg

100_2793_zpsf8bce207.jpg

The all too missed ball bearings in the clutch pushrod

100_2794_zps5d0cb523.jpg

Ta da!

100_2796_zpsfbc110cd.jpg

Kick start and starter gears out

100_2797_zps77375848.jpg

100_2798_zpsb809c534.jpg

Will try and get the head and the rockers stripped out tomorrow and get the cases off to blast on Monday :D

Paul, your frame and parts look great man!:thumbsup: Good job on that dang bolt. :D
Your engine does look like it's in good shape. Are you going to go with the early clutch push rod? What shape was your push rod bushing in?
I think silver tins would look pretty damn good. Maybe some pin striping to tie it all together.

Hi guys, thanks for the comments!

H3llb3nt1 thank you, yeah silver is looking favourite now!

Bucko, I use a company all Bettablast in Shiremoor, good guy and always a quick turnaround - http://www.bettablast.co.uk/bettablast/home.html

Johnt3 thanks as always, bushing was OK but I'll be replacing the seals any way. Yep, some gold pin striping I think will be in order! The frame has a lovely sparkle in the powder coat lacquer which doesn't really show in the photos :)

Frame n parts look sweet!
the jig for removing the bolt, well brilliant!
still juggling the colours I see.
A lot of colours will work well with the frame colour.

Hey Paul. I was referring to tearing down the lower end. Did you have any difficulty splitting the case? I put mine in front of my kerosene salamander. came apart in about 10 min.

Hi sorry about that h3llb3nt1 - colours on the brain!
The case came apart relatively easy. It needed a few whacks with a rubber mallet, then some gentle leverage with some wooden wedges and it cam right apart. I was expecting a bit of a fight as its so cold in the shed at the moment.

Back