UK Bobber Build thread

:)
Shaving the forks was very simple. I just cut the lugs off that I didnt want then, with emery clothrubbed the remaining clear coat off, then rubbed them down with 800 wet and dry, then onto the three compounds and polishing wheels.
Labourious work but worth it. One tip, the dust off the polishing wheel tints things - like my eye lashes!!! So when I finished, had a bath, then looked in the mirror, I looked like some sort of odd ball tranny!!!! - Will wear glasses in future! :)

Ha Ha! Yeah I'll remember to do that. Hey you got any experience with using Stainless steel as a structural component? I've got my hands on some assorted sizes of tubing that I was thinking of using for some brackets and stuff.

Yes, I have used stainless on a number of bikes and cars in the past. Very good material to work with, although there can be issues surrounding strength on critical components. However, for brackets etc it will be excellent, especially polished. It can be a pain in the arse to weld though. Check it with a magnet. It shouldnt cling on if its good quality.

Thanks Paul, I was asking because if I use some it will probably be for a tag bracket.
Also my boss is building a Banshee for the sand dunes and wanted to make a seat hoop out of some, but he's worried about the stainless being hard to bend,drill and hard to work with.
You going to get to work on your bike before you leave?

It'll be fine - it is a little more difficult - just needs a little more time and patience, thats all, but the results are very good.
Yes, I hope to get some work done on the carbs this Saturday and hopefully the following weekend I will get some work done. So I have a little time left before I'm off. I cant wait now, looking forward to some sun!

Where are ya going for this sun? Good luck with the carbs.
Hope to get in and work on my bike sometime this weekend. I have no idea what "we" are doing from day to day. I do know that I'll be eatin' some bird and nappin' this afternoon. Ha Ha.

Well make sure you use the sunblock buddy.It would be hard to build with a burn. Ha Ha.
Thank you. Will eat some turkey for ya! Oh and I won't forget the pumpkin pie.

Well I enjoyed the pie a couple times. I think I ate too much. Ha Ha!
Got to go to the shop today, Wife being out shopping and all. So I decided to work on my forks and yes I chickened out and didn't shave 'em.But I did do a quick polish and rebuilt them.Went ahead and put some Bel ray 15w fork oil in too.Reworked my side stand after I broke it trying to tweak it:doh:,it's much better now.:wink2:
All and all it was a good day.
Here's some before and after pics
DSCN0376.jpg

DSCN0375.jpg

And of course some more outside pics. I have to get it outside and get a good look at it.
DSCN0379.jpg

DSCN0377.jpg

DSCN0380.jpg

Hope to maybe get back Sunday and work on it some more.

she's looking great John ... love the minimalist brakes lol:D

The geometry and proportions look good ,how are you planning on running the pipe/s .

All this talk of pie is really winding me up. I'm on a diet :(

Ha Ha! Pie Pie Pie. Thanks peanut.I'm going to run the pipes under in the middle then out in front of the rear tire. Kinda like this only with a little rounder bends and turn downs
2977405205_156a5d6f76_b.jpg

Hi Johnt3 - lovin the build! Glad you had a good thanksgiving! Very jealous of the pie!
I like those pipes! Very similar to mine.
Shame about your side stand! I think I.l have to cut mine and shorten it but I'll leave it til I can get the bike outside and see what it's like.
Ive been on with my carbs today got all cleaned and built back up, polished all the fasteners, the paint the PO put on was a complete bastard to get off but I think we've managed! Painted the cross member angle iron too, however it's never got above -2 today and it's snowing now so not impressed! The newly painted angle is now in the living room hanging beside the stove! "her that must be obeyed" is wanting to npknow why the house thinks of paint! Think it's time for a pint! He he
I'll post some pics tomorrow hopefully!

Ha Ha! Yeah mine had a hissy over the carbs being cleaned indoors,had to go outside in the cold.The side stand is a lot better now. It needed a little bend put in it and also it would hit the starter when I lifted it. The rod that comes off of it also was too straight and stuck out too far. So now that is all taken care of.Yeah the pipes are going to be my last thing before I break the bike down to finish welding,clean and paint.
Can't wait till their done.

Pop some pics up of that stand, sounds very good! Mines there or there abouts, but I want to do a lot more to it! Can't wait for my rear mudguard to arrive. According to USPS it's somewhere above the Atlantic! It should be in my shed!
Well it's Nicole night again! Shite acts but she's worth it! ;)

Excellent, Ill look forward to them! It should arrive is coming week, do cant complain. Just have to prepare for Her Majesty's taxes!
What ignition system are you going for?

Yeah I need to order my Boyer unit then I will have to fabricate a coil mount too. I'm going to try and get it under the tank like the original. Just to keep it tucked away out the road

Back